Day 19: Fort Walton Beach


Advertisement
Published: July 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

One of the most relaxing days so far. After a nice lie in and a skype with Simon, we all had donuts for breakfast (om nom nom). We chatted a bit with Thom about his work - turns out he's getting deployed to Afghanistan on Tuesday, so it's really nice of them to have us to stay.

We started out at the Silver Sands shopping centre, the largest shopping outlet in America (apparently). I spent quite a lot... but it was all stuff I need so that makes it OK, right? We then had yummy ice cream for lunch and headed to the beach.

The coastline all along here is amazing. There is a huge lagoon on one side, with a shallow section in the middle ("Crab Island") where people hang out and play beach volleyball. One of the harbous we visited is where they filmed the bit in Free Willy where he jumps over the jetty. Spoilt for choice, we eventually (after having stopped at another beach, put on suncream, and then got back in the car) settled for Henderson Beach State Park. The sand is fine quartz so it's bright white and really squeaky. We arrived just as some clouds covered the sun so several people were leaving whilst we were celebrating the fact we wouldn't get burnt.

Then back to the house for the most amazing steak with salad, sweetcorn and beans, followed by melon. We hadn't had fresh veg in soooo long that it was just glorious, and we're both now completely stuffed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Crab IslandCrab Island
Crab Island

(Daisy took this photo from the bridge and emailed it to me!)


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0636s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb