Crystal River Time


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Crystal River
December 17th 2010
Published: December 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Sara & TrevorSara & TrevorSara & Trevor

heading out from Cedar Key just before sunrise
We watched Sara and Trevor leave before sunrise yesterday morning, heading south for Tarpon Springs. We followed an hour later. The forecast was the same as the day before, which had made a wonderful day’s run for us from Steinhatchee to Cedar Key. Unfortunately, it was not the same. We had 2-3’ seas, which wouldn’t have been bad if they had been rollers, but these were steep-sided waves, rocking and bucking us. Sara and Trevor in the sailboat, with the wind on their nose, were not making much progress as the waves also slowed them down. Finally we all agreed to head for Crystal River and call it a day. It is a good ways in to get to the channel to Crystal River and it took us 3 hours to get there once we made the decision.

By the time we got to the entrance to the channel, the winds and the waves had calmed, and we dropped anchor just out of the channel. An hour later the wind came up again and we scooted on into Kings Bay, another 9 miles or so up Crystal River. It was nearly dark by the time we reached Pete’s Pier and
SunriseSunriseSunrise

over Cedar Key
everyone had gone home. We had called ahead and were told to tie up at the fuel dock and they would leave the shower key in a bucket by the shrimp tank. Showers sounded good to everyone, and Kerry and Trevor also hoofed it to the grocery store, which was not as nearby as promised. But we now have several days worth of groceries.

This morning we were up early listening to weather and thinking it might be good enough to head out again. Sara and Trevor started their boat and we started ours. Then theirs quit again and wouldn’t start. They bled lines, checked filters, nothing worked. Our son, David, called to check on us and recommended they check for clogged intake from the fuel tank, which was what it turned out to be. Suggestions were made, brainstorming occurred, and after a trip to West Marine, a call went out for a fuel polishing. The guy finally showed up around 3:30, emptied the diesel out of the tank and left. Sara and Trevor were left with cleaning out the tank, which was full of gunk.

By the way, the wind came up late this morning and there
tug and bargetug and bargetug and barge

this big guy was coming from the power plant and stirred up mud in 25' of water
were whitecaps in the bay, which is pretty sheltered. So it wouldn’t have been a good day to be out in the Gulf of Mexico anyway.

So now the plan is for them to reinstall the tank, hook up all the fuel lines, bleed the air out of the lines and get it running in the morning. Once it’s running, off we go, weather permitting.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Entering Crystal RiverEntering Crystal River
Entering Crystal River

It's a really pretty cruise into Kings Bay
Manatee ZoneManatee Zone
Manatee Zone

There are a lot of manatees in this area, attracted by the warm waters of the springs
SunsetSunset
Sunset

over Kings Bay
Goodbye sunGoodbye sun
Goodbye sun

Kings Bay
Quiet timeQuiet time
Quiet time

after a job well done


18th December 2010

HOPE TOMORROW IS A SUPER GOOD DAY!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb