Cocoa Beach and Its Genie


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Cocoa Beach
March 23rd 2017
Published: May 26th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Our spring trip this year was a cruise on the Carnival Sunshine to the Southern Caribbean, visiting Curaçao, Aruba and Grand Turk. I had not visited the ABC islands before or the Turks & Caicos, so this was all new territory! We arrived in Cape Canaveral , Florida, the day before our cruise was to sail. As is our usual custom, we drove from Springfield, Virginia, over two days, spending a night at Santee, South Carolina. In Cape Canaveral, our hotel was again the Marriott Residence Inn. No launches from the Kennedy Space Center to see this evening, as there had been last year.

Before heading to dinner at Florida's Seafood in Cocoa Beach, I wanted to see the I Dream of Jeannie historical marker at Lori Wilson Park. I'd read about it on the Roadside America app. Installed in 1996, the marker commemorates Cocoa Beach as the setting of the 1960s TV sitcom I Dream Of Jeannie. (It had to do with an astronaut who discovers Jeannie the Genie in her magic bottle.)

Carnival Sunshine (the former Carnival Destiny) was built in 1996 and thoroughly renovated in 2013. It was first to have many of the new amenities and features that Carnival is now adding to all of its ships. Sunshine also did away with the somewhat overdone interior decoration of many of Carnival's ships . Interior lines are now very clean and attractive. I especially liked the astronomical theme of the main atrium.

Carnival Sunshine sailed from Florida about 5:00 p.m., the last of the four cruise ships in port that day to sail. On our way to the ABC Islands!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Scallop RosamariaScallop Rosamaria
Scallop Rosamaria

Scallop Rosamaria at Florida's Seafood Bar & Grill. IMG_0328


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb