Cruising to the Keys


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Clewiston
February 22nd 2016
Published: February 22nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

The new adventure began three days ago.

We left Fort Myers Friday after a five day delay due to steering issues. We had planned on going to Glades boat yard to party with some friends but the steering was still giving us trouble so we stopped at the LaBelle city dock for the night to tune things up. We were the only power boat amongst all the sailors. Mostly Canadians with one British couple and one American. It turns out the town was having a block party with live entertainment, swamp cabbage fritters and free cupcakes. The Captain was very pleased. We danced in the street and had a really good time.

We made it to the boat yard on Saturday afternoon. I can't remember the last time we just cruised as opposed to setting out early and steaming all day. We leave late go a few miles and stop, that is relaxing. We beached our little house on the shore line, and walked a plank to shore. No drinking on this night, just as well since I was over served last night.

We woke up to a beautiful day so we put the dinghy in the water and went to visit friends in Turkey creek, a 4 mile jaunt down the river. There is a large alligator living in the creek and a smaller one, I was not able to photograph the large one. We were not able to connect with anyone in the creek, they were all out boating.

We left the boat yard in the early afternoon and sauntered over to Clewiston. The water is high with all the rain they had in January. It is the first time we see the lock into Clewiston in operation, usually it us open and you just drive through. We are tied up to the boat launch dock since Rowan and Martin Marina is full. We went there for dinner though and had a nice feed of catfish.

We are puttering around this morning before we head out to Stuart or Jim's Fish Camp along the ditch that circles Lake Ocheechobee. The weather is nice enough to cross the 26 mile lake but we are not in a hurry so we will take the small craft route around the rim.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

ClewistonClewiston
Clewiston

Channel to the boat launch dock.


Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 47; dbt: 0.08s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb