The big city explored


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.8921, -77.0241

This morning we awoke and after a quick breakfast we caught the shuttle and metro into Washington. Our first stop had to be the White House - this was a beautiful view and one which looked like a view on a postcard. Next we walked round to take in the building from behind. From here behind us we could also see the magnificent Washington Monument. Unfortunately this was covered in scaffolding due to repairs following an earthquake 2 years ago.

The weather was getting hotter and hotter but we perceived. Our next stop was the Declaration of Independence Monument which was on an island which shows all signatures of those who signed the original declaration. Afterwords we walked onto the Vietnam War memorials, the first one was the women's memorial and then onto the mens which was a reflective wall listing all those who died. We then walked onto the Lincoln Memorial - this was a massive monument which looked over the reflecting pool leading up to the monument. We also viewed the point where Martin Luther King made his famous speech.

We then walked on and viewed the Korean War Memorial, and the DC war memorial. The next stop on the monument trial was the World War II Memorial - this was a thought provoking memorial which was set out in each state over a beautiful water fountain.

As the sun was blaring we took refuge in the Air and Space Museum - this was a huge building which showed the journey of aviation. This went from the Wright brothers, to the efforts of aeroplanes in the wars and through the journeys into space. After this we walked up the National Mall towards Capitol Hill and spent time admiring this magnificent building.

We then decided to walk up to grab some dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe but not before stopping by the Ford Theater. We decided then to call by an see the White House all light up in lights under the night sky before heading home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0229s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb