Maximizing Museums and Monuments


Advertisement
Published: September 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Living near one of the storied cities of the world provides endless diversions. We last lived near D.C. in 1996 and then, only for a short while. Just when we were getting in the rythym of this happening place, we had to leave and always told one another that there was “unfinished business,” as there were so many sights to take in. Fast forward some 18 years (really?) and we were back and thi... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Chuck & Birdie visiting D.C.Chuck & Birdie visiting D.C.
Chuck & Birdie visiting D.C.

Chuck was the best man at our wedding in 1994
A jug of bloody mary'sA jug of bloody mary's
A jug of bloody mary's

A great afternoon with Chuck and Birdie
D.C. food truckD.C. food truck
D.C. food truck

Many good and inexpensive choices.
Washington MonumentWashington Monument
Washington Monument

Waiting for the fireworks to begin
Wonderful displaysWonderful displays
Wonderful displays

American Cool
Stunning architectureStunning architecture
Stunning architecture

D.C. has so much to offer.
1600 Pennsylvania Ave1600 Pennsylvania Ave
1600 Pennsylvania Ave

The White House
Jewels a plentyJewels a plenty
Jewels a plenty

Natural History Museum
Art comes in many formsArt comes in many forms
Art comes in many forms

Some are harder to explain...
MJ on the steps of the Lincoln MemorialMJ on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial
MJ on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial

She always wanted to eat ice cream here...just like Rene Russo in "The Line of Fire."
The World War II MemorialThe World War II Memorial
The World War II Memorial

Four of Dave's uncles were part of this conflict....fortunately, they all made it home.



17th September 2014

DC
Hey guys! I consider myself a "breezer" not a "browser" when it comes to museums. Loved the fairly new Aerospace museum in Chantilly! Seeing the space shuttle and knowing it's history gave me goose bumps! Glad you two are doing well. I am still on assignment in Raleigh, through Dec, then I have no definite plans. Except to retire within the next five years. 59 now.
17th September 2014

DC
Hey guys! I consider myself a "breezer" not a "browser" when it comes to museums. Loved the fairly new Aerospace museum in Chantilly! Seeing the space shuttle and knowing it's history gave me goose bumps! Glad you two are doing well. I am still on assignment in Raleigh, through Dec, then I have no definite plans. Except to retire within the next five years. 59 now.
17th September 2014

DC
Hey guys! I consider myself a "breezer" not a "browser" when it comes to museums. Loved the fairly new Aerospace museum in Chantilly! Seeing the space shuttle and knowing it's history gave me goose bumps! Glad you two are doing well. I am still on assignment in Raleigh, through Dec, then I have no definite plans. Except to retire within the next five years. 59 now.
17th September 2014

DC
I forgot that you were in Raleigh. I will send you an email. The museum in Chantilly is fantastic. Yeah for retirement!
17th September 2014

Museum styles
My style is similar to yours I think, I can definitely go into "information overload" quite quickly. These days I tend to decide in advance what I am most interested in and sometimes I have been known to skip entire sections if I am in overload, but it doesn't bother me if seen what I came for.
17th September 2014

Absolutely agree
We've been known to glance at a section or two and move on. I guess I'm ok with an overview of past civilizations since I have had a fairly solid education on what occurred most of the time. The artifacts can be amazing. Sounds like we could successfully visit a museum together.
17th September 2014

Museums
When we travel we visit museums, but when we are at home its often art galleries. Come to think of it we really like both. In Oz they often score exceptional visiting exhibitions like the Aztec one on in Sydney at the moment and the antiquities of Afghanistan on recently. We'll have to have a chat about it one day.
17th September 2014

Let's chat about museums
It would be great to get together and discuss the galleries in Sydney. We didn't make it to any of them in the past. Maybe on our next visit. I'd love to see the antiquities of Afghanistan!
17th September 2014

Self confessed non-attender
Well I know this will sound shocking.. but my museum style is that I don't go to them. Oops... it's out now... oh my god! Oh well, better I fess up and face the consequences. But I liked reading your blog and maybe there is hope for me yet.
17th September 2014

You've been outed!
Certainly there is no hope for you...ah just kidding. Well, we are not museum geeks but made a conscious decision to go while we are living in the area because we've lived her for a few weeks in the past and visited a couple of times and didn't step foot in one. It was well worth the time. If you come to D.C. you must break your rule.
17th September 2014

Smithsonian are great
Smithsonian Museums easily ranks among the best museums in the world. We have seen American History Museum and Air and Space Museum and we would love to see the rest of them some day in the future. A crazy idea would be to see them all in one go. To pull a Smithsonian all in. But that would not be fun. One museum or two is what a normal person can digest in one visit. /Ake
17th September 2014

So Much to Take In!
Hi Dave & Merry Jo! What great photos and sounds like you two were able to take in so much! I've never been to D.C. but it's one place I am considering in terms of relocation now that I've returned from my travels and am back to the real world trying to find a job. I'll keep you posted if I end up in your neck of the woods!
17th September 2014

So much to see and so much to do
You won't regret a trip to D.C. whether it is to visit or to live. Such a great city. Truly a melting pot. Please let us know when you are in the area.
17th September 2014

So much to see and so much to do
You won't regret a trip to D.C. whether it is to visit or to live. Such a great city. Truly a melting pot. Please let us know when you are in the area.
17th September 2014

Total museum geek!
I always plan a full day for every museum (unless it's the NY Met, the Louvre or the Hermitage, and then I devote a week). I visit chronologically, reading every caption and taking notes (it takes a long time in French or Spanish). When I finish, I go back to the beginning because you see things differently from a new direction. Then, I go through again, stopping to be with my favorites. I always visit even the small, sincere, very funky regional museums and chat with the workers who are thrilled someone is visiting. Museums are a real love of my life though, needless-to-say, they are a solitary enjoyment.
17th September 2014

I knew you were out there
I suspected there was someone like you out there and I'm not surprised to find out it is you. You seem like a patient person and could enjoy each tidbit and nugget of knowledge. I could never go to a museum with you. :)
18th September 2014

Thanks for the memories!
Hi, Thanks for reminding me how lovely DC is. I was lucky to be there in beautiful April with the cherry blossoms. I hope you'll visit Frederick Douglas' home. I really enjoyed that visit. Douglas came to Ireland during The Great Famine and was shocked to see the Irish people in rags, begging from him, far worse than he had ever seen in the Deep South.
18th September 2014

Great hearing from you Sheila
We will see if we have time for the Frederick Douglas Home. We are leaving the area soon so I'm not sure. Sounds great. We've been to D.C. in late March and the Cherry Blossoms are spectacular.
18th September 2014

DC
I've been to DC before but unfortunately it was in the heat of summer. I will go again, sometime when it is cooler if I can find a weekly or monthly rental at a good price and near a bus or train line going into DC. I greatly enjoyed my last visit even in the heat and fully intend to go again. Right now I am enjoying time at Colorado Springs and may make it my "home base" for a bit.
18th September 2014

Weeks and weeks
To really get a good look at D.C. it can take weeks. So much to do and so little time. I do hope you'll come back. I'm sure you can hunt out a reasonable place to stay.
18th September 2014

Museum viewing styles
MJ and Dave, it seems are our museum viewing styles are very compatible... we usually find ourselves in the cafe, on our third or fourth cup of coffee while waiting for friends who subscribe to Tara's style of museum viewing :)
18th September 2014

Museum compatibility
It used to bother me when I was reading faster and moving from room to room at a much more rapid rate than others. Now it does not bother me at all. I'll bet if we were quizzed at the exit we would do fairly well. I'm afraid I would not go to a museum with your friends or Tara. I'd get tired of drinking coffee. Guess I could catch up with them later in the day. I'm so glad the world has people who want to read every piece of information because they have worked so hard to gather it and present it well. Smithsonian's are amazing.
18th September 2014

Museum compatibility
It used to bother me when I was reading faster and moving from room to room at a much more rapid rate than others. Now it does not bother me at all. I'll bet if we were quizzed at the exit we would do fairly well. I'm afraid I would not go to a museum with your friends or Tara. I'd get tired of drinking coffee. Guess I could catch up with them later in the day. I'm so glad the world has people who want to read every piece of information because they have worked so hard to gather it and present it well. Smithsonian's are amazing.
21st September 2014

From Cortona
Love your museum visiting style.... pretty much matches our own. We arrived in Cortona yesterday for a week after barging the Canal du Midi in southern FrAnce. Great experience! There is so much we need to do and see in the DC area and your blogs will be our guide.... Another great one!!!
21st September 2014

Your life is rough
...France....Cortona...ah, that's the life. Glad you continue to have a great time. Eager to hear more. D.C. has so much to offer. I'm glad we had an extended time there. Now we are moving to Baltimore...details later.
21st September 2014
Ariel view

Washington Monument
Looks like you get a great view from the top of the Washington monument. Unfortunately it was still closed when I visited.
21st September 2014
Ariel view

Closed for repairs
It offers a stunning view. If you get back we recommend a trip to the top. It was lovely.

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 20; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb