DAY 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Connecticut » Trumbull
February 26th 2011
Published: February 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Into the warm --- Random thoughts on get away day.

Traffic at 8:45 on Rt 95 was sparse, more like a Saturday than a Wednesday. That can be attributed to the President’s Day vacation period in part but it really felt spooky to pass my Stamford exit at 55 mph or more.
For some unknown and silly reason Delta has renamed the area in the concourse where the gates are located as the “Gatehouse”. “ If Ms Smith is in the gatehouse, please go to the podium at gate 7”
The flight attendants were not happy campers. The plane was small, an MD88, with limited overhead space and it was a full flight. It’s fun to watch folks cram their coats in the overhead just after the flight attendants asked them to wait until the luggage was stowed. Ask folks to return to their seats and watch one or two people get up. Start the beverage service and several people just have to go to the lavatory. Our take off was delayed slightly because a four year old just couldn’t wait. Stuff happens.
As we were landing in Ft. Lauderdale a little tike had a melt down. “I want to go home” she screamed over and over again. “I don’t like this, please take me home.” Poor little thing and the poor parents couldn’t answer her pleas.
The hotel is located right next to Rt 95. It’s two years old but showing signs of wear already. I knew it would be close to restaurants and shopping. What I didn’t appreciate is that it is about a mile between crossing lights on the main road a six- lane highway.
I decided to go to a recommended Cuban restaurant and crossed the road between lights. One car actually speeded up so that I was sort of trapped in traffic but obviously made it ok. The food was marginal, not truly awful but more like fast food fare. The sangria was made with ------- canned fruit cocktail. That says it all. To get back to the hotel I walked to the cross walk. This meant walking under 95. It was rush hour so I didn’t feel too intimidated by the homeless guys standing around with signs or picking through the grass but it’s not something look forward to doing again.
But it’s 80 degrees and sunny and the pool looks inviting and I hope to get together with Sharon & Hugh so all is well.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0279s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb