Just another day in Colorado


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
June 16th 2017
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Old style pumps in TrinidadOld style pumps in TrinidadOld style pumps in Trinidad

Read the sign on the left
First off an apology to the town of Trinidad. We were bagging it all night, but when we rode through the Main Street we found that it was quite pretty and filled with history. The life size horse statues were in reference to the fact that the Santa Fe trail which used to be the main trail from east to west ran right down Main Street. The old buildings were beautifully maintained and we even had a chat with a local watering her flowers as we rode through town. Moral of the story is never judge a town after riding 170km in the heat feeling exhausted and having to go to 3 RV parks before finding rest for the night.
We woke to the alarm at 5:30am, not much movement. Time seems to speed up in the morning when we're getting ready. Took us 90 minutes to get ready when it used to take 60. There was comment that adding toast to the morning breakfast menu slowed us down a bit but if that's the reason I'm happy to wear it. The ride in the morning is easy. The wind is behind us and the road is not flat but not far
Pretty sceneryPretty sceneryPretty scenery

The mountains disappeared very quickly
from it. We're riding into the flat part of the middle of America and we'll be seeing plenty of flat country side. Those with keen eyes spotted wild dear in the fields either side of us, but only a few. We had one jump across the road in front of us just as we left Trinidad which quickly woke us up. We're trying to go 200kms today so we're trying to shorten our stops. To lunchtime at least we're doing ok. The mostly flat undulating plain stretches on, and on and on. We're actually in the Comanche National Grasslands and it is well named. We're seeing more cattle around as well. Tommy has been hammering on about wanting to do 200kms individually in a day, not something we had considered when planning the trip. Today we have made good time and we have a tailwind and the terrain is flat, so we decide to let Tom go for it. We change our final destination to a small town called Walsh and power on. Tom is still about 16kms short when we get there so he does a little loop to make up the distance. The RV Park is actually run by the Walsh Health Care Facility. So we have to go to admin to rent the site. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and tell us we can order food from their kitchen if we want. We didn't need much convincing and the food was reasonable if not gourmet. Walsh is a very small town so not much to do here, just minimal shopping, wash the riding gear, spend a bit of time on the Internet and off to bed. All ready to rinse and repeat for tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

GrasslandsGrasslands
Grasslands

Very, very flat
SiloSilo
Silo

The town of Pritchett. Not much happening here any more


Tot: 0.412s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 13; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0932s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb