We're going U.S. National Park'N!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
September 5th 2009
Published: September 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Bonneville Salt FlatsBonneville Salt FlatsBonneville Salt Flats

Huh? We have salt flats in the US?
Yellowstone Park was our 1st stop. Spent 3 days there. Grand Canyon of Yellowstone was our highlight. Would of loved to have posted all pics of the animals we saw at the "serengeti of North America" but it was not to be. Hours of early rise'n and long dusk drives along the meadows and forest yielded the pics we do have. What's worse is that at the campground's evening program, the park ranger touted how relatively easy it is to spot bears and wolves. Thank you Mr. Park Ranger, can you now kick me in the pants for laughs and giggles? We will continue the chase another day Mr. Grizzley Bear and Mr. Wolf....BTW, if you ever decide to camp at YNP, book early! Or you too will have auto headlights shining through your tent at all hours of the night/early morning...

Grand Tetons National Park was next (1 night). Just south of Yellowstone, it is a beautiful park with majestic mountains with glaciers and lakes. The word is that it's moose country up here! Too bad it rained on us but the Jenny Lake Campground is really nice! No showers though. Went looking for black bears again to no avail. Jackson Hole is a cute western town just south of the park. Got tired of campfood so we splurged by going to a Chinese buffet in town. Not bad considering and the cook was actually Chinese.

Salt Lake City was our next stop. Essentially a stop over point before we headed to Arches National Park. Salt Lake City is easily navigatable, clean, non-threatening, and home to Jesus Christ and the Church of Latter Day Saints (AKA the Mormons). Stopping through, we had to visit Mormon Square. We took the tour and it was very informative. Unfortunately, no visitors allowed into the Temple. According to our guides, it takes years of preperation to enter the temple and it is so special when you enter, it is indescribable. The rumors of hard sell conversion tactics and subliminal brain washing are totally unfounded. I can mail you a DVD if you would like more info...😊 Sorry no pics...FYI, found a good Pho and Hot Pot restaurant in SLC and Provo, respectively..had to scratch the asian food itch!

Arches National Park was Alan's favorite (2 days). It has some beautiful rock formations and lookouts. The downside is that is was hot (90 degrees+) and there were no showers at campground. Thank goodness we have a solar shower but still a little awkward showering in the open...and yes, we had our swimsuits on! Oh yeah, at dusk, you can see bats fly overhead at the campground.

Mesa Verde National Park was Jen's favorite (2 days). Home of the ancient Puebloean Indian ruins. The indians unexplicably left their cliffside dwellings in the early 1200's, never to return. Theories run from drought to even cannibalism. If you're into history and archeology, you'll love this park. Also, finally saw a black bear, when we last expected it. Huge bear booking across a hill. Got a few pics but it was gone in a flash. Still an amazing site!

We drove through Monument Valley on our way to the Grand Canyon North Rim to see the famous landscapes where a dozen or so movies have been shot. You'll recognize them when you see our pics. 4x4 is recommended but our Prius was more than up for the challenge. The dirt road is in pretty bad shape but we made it. Just don't drive too fast.

Grand Canyon North Rim (1 night). Much less
Yellowstone NPYellowstone NPYellowstone NP

What's that smell? This time its really not me!
crowded with less services available than the South Rim. North Rim is higher up so the views are still pretty impressive but probably not as good as the South though. Great campground and good hiking down the canyon. The hotel there is really grand but alas we didn't stay there.

Bryce and Zion National Parks. Two of the most popular National Parks. Both are intimate and easily accessible. Both have some incredible hikes. The nice thing about Bryce is that you can hike into the canyon and get close to the geological rock formations. Zion had our favorite hike. The Angel's Landing Trail. The final .5 miles is fairly steep and certain parts are no wider than 3 feet with over a 800ft drop on either side. Some parts of the trail provide a metal chain so you don't plummet to your death! Jen almost chickened out because of her fear of heights and the 3 people we passed on the way up who took the chicken exit. Valuable camping tip: When showering at the coin operated showers at the Bryce campground, avoid the shower stall next to the german father and 2 kids stuffed into it. It reminded Alan of the circus where 10 clowns are stuffed into a VW bug. Not only do you have to avoid being splashed with secondhand shower water, the cackles and cries in German will send shivers down your spine.

Well, that's a recap of our road trip camping in the national parks around the Southwestern US. We truly have some great sites right in our own backyard that shouldn't be missed. Next, we have to get ready for South America. Hasta luego! We'll keep you all posted!

Alan and Jen








Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

AIn't that pretty! AIn't that pretty!
AIn't that pretty!

Don't ask me why it;s that color, thou its purty!
Grand Canyon of YellowstoneGrand Canyon of Yellowstone
Grand Canyon of Yellowstone

It's as big as it looks!
Grand Canyon of Yellowstone Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
Grand Canyon of Yellowstone

Upper Falls or was it lower?
Grand TetonsGrand Tetons
Grand Tetons

Cheese!
MooseMoose
Moose

Grand Tetons NP
Grand TetonsGrand Tetons
Grand Tetons

Bullwinkle
Grand TetonsGrand Tetons
Grand Tetons

Nice Tetons
Moose Horn Arch, Jackson WYMoose Horn Arch, Jackson WY
Moose Horn Arch, Jackson WY

Collected by Boyscouts and sold to the city..or is that the PR spin?
Arches NPArches NP
Arches NP

North & South Arch AKA Spectacles


27th September 2009

Great blog
Hi Guys, thx for sharing. Brings back memories for me, of my families vacations growing up, my dad loved the west and we had lots of fun traveling to the same places, probably had something to do with them becoming Lds, who knows. My little sis, went to college in Provo, what a beautiful place.
27th September 2009

loved hearing all about your road trip. personally, i love the north rim better than the touristy south rim of the grand canyon, but shhh! i don't want the word to get out since the north rim is so much less crowded. did you see the sunrise over the canyon? amazing and worth waking up at 3 am and waiting for hours. i can't believe in all our road trips, we've never driven through monument valley or mesa verde. can't wait to see more pics. and hear about your next adventure in south america.
29th September 2009

Nice!
Hope this post finds you well, looks like you guys are having a blast! CanĀ“t wait to see the dolphins, enjoy! Best regards, Gerben

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb