Frazier Meadow (Golden Gate Canyon State Park)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
September 29th 2006
Published: September 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This was a somewhat abbreviated hike, so it's going to be treated with a somewhat abbreviated description... After the previous week's chilly hike, it was nice to see the weather climb back up into the high 60's just in time for the weekend. After my visit to Golden Gate Canyon earlier in the summer, I was determined to return for at least one more hike before the season ended. My dad and I decided to climb up into the beautiful Frazier Meadow area, which on the east side of the ridge seen in the pictures I took at Ol' Barn Knoll. In fact, you'll notice the same claw-like rock formation that appeared in the earlier photos.

This hike starts at the Frazier Meadow trailhead, just east of the Visitor Center at the southern entrance to the park. From the parking area, the Horseshoe Trail climbs steeply between hills on its way up to Frazier Meadow. After about a mile, the trail branches off into the Coyote Trail to the right or the Black Bear Trail to the left. We chose to continue on the Horseshoe until its dead-end at the intersections with the Mule Deer Trail (are you detecting a theme in the trail names yet?). From here, the Mule Deer trail gradually climbs to the northeast through the Frazier Meadow camp sites. The views from the trail are quite nice: Tremont Mountain--the highest point in the park--can be seen to the northwest along with occasional glimpses of Mt. Evans off to the southwest. By this point, many of the aspens had already lost their foliage, but there were still plenty of golden leaves to be seen in the trees. Eventually, the Mule Deer trail curves toward the west and hits Panorama Point (see my earlier entry). Unfortunately, time constraints forced us to turn back early, which means I'll have to go back and try this hike again!

Directions: See my previous entry for driving directions to the park. Once you enter the park, turn right and pass by the visitor center. The Frazier Meadow trailhead comes up very quickly on the left side of the road.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb