Guffey to Fairplay 47miles, 2394 total


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado
July 7th 2018
Published: July 8th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


I’m sitting here in Fairplay, Colorado,which sits 9,954 feet above Sea Level. For the last few days, I have been going uphill and the elevation has really added to the difficulty.

I was really dragging this morning after my excellent adventure yesterday.

I don’t think the Moonshine Bill had me sample last night helped much!

I rose early, but waited around until 8am to find Breakfast.

I just wasn’t ready to tackle another day of climbing without food!

The wait turned out to be a real serendipity, because I ate at the Rolling Thunder Cloud Cafe and had a splendid time.

The owners Wayne and Geordi Walston welcomed me as if I was at their home for breakfast. The interior was furnished with not only the traditional tables but had several couches and easy chairs.

I relaxed in the easy chair sipping my excellent coffee and conversing with the rapid influx of diners. They were like family and included me as a member!

Wayne made me one of the best Denver Omelets I have ever had, and I left there with a great appreciation of the unique town of Guffey!

As I
Wayne and Geordi WalstonWayne and Geordi WalstonWayne and Geordi Walston

This was a great experience. I have never felt so welcome at a restaurant.
peddled this morning, I really had difficulty getting into the groove. The thin air really slowed me down and the 2-4% climbs seemed much steeper to my legs.

The lunch stop at Hertzel was about 20 miles down the road, and I seemed to suffer more than I have in weeks..

As I stopped to take a picture, my friend Pat road up and stopped beside me. He had started at Royal Gorge this morning and was still riding strong!

We joined our efforts and finished the last few miles to Hertzel. We ate at the Highline Cafe and Saloon and had an enjoyable meal and good conversation as always.

After lunch, Pat and I joined forces again and rode another 20 miles into the wind. By taking turns in front blocking the wind we really made good time into Fairplay.

I have to hand it to Pat. He rode 67+ miles today and was riding very strong all the way to Fairplay.

His condition right now is superb, while I feel really run down.

Let’s hear it for the Navy Submariners!

I was really glad to check into my Western Inn and Motel to rest my legs.

Despite my legs not feeling right, the sightseeing was splendid today. I saw a couple of deer who took off as soon as I reached for the camera.

I did however, get a few pictures of some Buffalo and gorgeous mountain vistas!

I’m excited for tomorrow because I will be crossing the Continental divide over Hoosier Pass into Breckenridge.

Good legs or bad, tomorrow it should be great!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

I saw a lot of cattle grazingI saw a lot of cattle grazing
I saw a lot of cattle grazing

I had to look hard because sometimes it was Buffalo.


8th July 2018

Climb On.
Bob! The scenery is getting better again and despite the funky legs you are Rockin' the Rockies! Keep on peddling for those Vets! Thumbs Up all the way!!!
9th July 2018

Thanks Chelsea, One day at a time.
8th July 2018

Elevation sickness
Hi Bob , I went to the Dr before I climbed 10 days in the Alps because I had had much difficulty in The Pyrenees. The thin air at altitude and my Asthma not a good combo. He said , take two Advil every morning whether you’re feeling sick or not. The swelling of tissue and membranes will respond to simple ibuprofen. Well I did it religiously and I never had the altitude sickness. Try it, you have nothing to lose .. Good luck Bob, I know how discouraging it is when your brain wants to go and your legs and lungs don’t want to cooperate... Sending you a big hug...
9th July 2018

Malena
Thanks for the encouragement. I will follow that advice. Bob

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb