Visiting Homeandaway AKA Bob


Advertisement
Published: June 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Denver to Cripple Creek and return


Sojourner1208 and HomeandawaySojourner1208 and HomeandawaySojourner1208 and Homeandaway

I made a trip to Woodland Park to visit with Bob, AKA Homeandaway on the travel blog site.
June 4 – Homeandaway - Today I went to Woodland Park to visit a fellow travel blogger Bob known as Homeandaway on the travelblog site. I drove out of Denver on I-25 and the view of the Front Range of the Rockies was splendid. It was partly cloudy and the patchwork view of light and dark areas made the view even better. This is easily one of the most accessible as well as splendid views of the foothills of the Rockies and the Front Range in Colorado.

I did have problems with the people behind me because when the speed limit says 75MPH I drive no more than 75MP. When it says 65, I drive 65, when it says 55, I drive 55 and when it says 45 or 30 , I do not exceed those speeds. This aggravated the dog out of people behind me. Oh well... I guess they just have to get over it. I have a good, strong bumper on my truck.

When I got to Colorado Springs I got off on Hwy 24 and took it West towards Woodland Park. Normally whenever I go to “The Springs” I make a stop or at least a drive through the Garden Of the Gods. It is easily accessible off of Hwy 24 and I could pretty much have gotten off Hwy 24, stopped at the visitors center to enjoy the view a bit and get a map and then drove through the rock formations and back onto Hwy 24. But I passed on it this time as I was meeting Bob in Woodland Park around 1PM.

So I continued on to Woodland Park only stopping at the MacDonalds in Woodland Park to check out their Wifi and use their restrooms. I had a look around and found out for future reference that there were plugs by several tables for plugging in laptops and charging up cell phones etc.

I also noticed upon entering Woodland Park that there was a WalMart to the left as you enter town. This would be a good place to stock up on supplies before heading west to the smaller towns in the center of Colorado. I didn’t check it out though as I was here to meet Bob.

Using the map I had drawn from Mapquest I found Bobs nice house on a Cul de Sac. He was a congenial man and we visited along with his wife on the deck of his house for a bit. The weather was a bit brisk but still very nice.

After a bit Bob and I went to a Thai restaurant that he knew of in Woodland Park and had lunch. It was the first time I have ever had Thai food. We had some Thai Ice Tea with it which was pretty good but a strange color.

Afterwards Bob took me on a tour of Woodland Park. He is a member of the city council and showed me the location of a future Aquatic Center that he is working on getting put in by a nice park. It will have glass to the south facing the mountains and will have quite a view. Bob is also active in Habitat for Humanity.

After eating we headed West on Hwy 24 and past the area of giant rocks by the road that were precariously perched on the Cliffside that I had went by on my previous trip. We went by a valley where there was a turnout with a signs saying an indian battle had taken place there. We
Texas ChiliTexas ChiliTexas Chili

When I got back to Denver I made some Texas Chili with a baked potato. The Chili was soooooooooooooo good!
didn’t stop because I had stopped there on my previous trip as well.

We continued on to Florissant and then south on Hwy 1 to Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument where we watched a film on how the fossil beds had been formed.

After we watched the film we continued down Hwy 1 to Cripple Creek where Bob showed me some houses that Habitat for Humanity had moved up on a hill and restored.

I had been to Cripple Creek years ago when it was still just a tourist town but now gambling casinos have taken over the town. I don’t gamble, not because of any moral objection to it but because I just take my money and play with it, I lose all my money, and then I am done. I would maybe feel different if I won once in a while.

After a drive through of Cripple Creek we got on Hwy 67 and took it back to Woodland Park. We had driven a circle of a very scenic drive from Woodland Park to Cripple Creek and then back to Woodland Park again.

When we got back to Woodland Park we went to Bob’s house and I thanked Bob for a nice scenic drive. It was nice meeting him and his wife.

So I loaded up in my truck again and stopping at the MacDonalds again on the way out for a restroom break and a quick check on the internet I continued on back to Denver via Colorado Springs.

The drive back up I-25 again along the Front Range was once again very scenic but in a different way from this morning not being so lit up by sunshine. The late afternoon sun view was special in a different way.

It had been a very good day and I enjoyed meeting Bob and his wife and the tour of the local area.

I had intended when I got back to Denver to get a deep dish pizza to go from Old Chicago in Arapaho Crossing shopping center at Arapaho and Parker streets and stopping at a liquor store on the way back to the house to get some real beer instead of the stuff they sell in grocery stores here. Then I was going to have pizza and beer while watching a movie on the big screen TV here. But I ended up just deciding to fix up some Chili with a baked potato on the side. The chili I fixed up was delicious if I say so myself…and I do : )

Here is a link to when I stayed in Colorado Springs before:

From Oct 11 thru Oct 13 – Where I stayed, Garden of the Gods, 7 Falls, Colorado City

http://www.travelblog.org/North-America/United-States/Colorado/Colorado-Springs/blog-658037.html

From Oct 20 to Oct 31, 2011 – Manitou springs, Garden of the Gods, Helen Hunt Falls, The High Drive, Miramont Castle, First blizzard of the season, attempt at Gold Camp road but too much Ice and snow, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (Griz), Shrine of the Sun, and Manitou Springs again till the snow flew again, then heading South ahead of the next blizzard.

http://www.travelblog.org/North-America/United-States/Colorado/Manitou-Springs/blog-659980.html

Advertisement



9th June 2013

Glad you met Bob and Linda
William, I'm so glad you and Bob got together. Sounds like he gave you a nice tour. Their home is in a lovely setting.
10th June 2013

nice drive in the country
Yes. There house was very nice and it was a nice drive in the country.
9th June 2013

It was great to meet you...
feed you some Thai food, and show you some of the area!
10th June 2013

nice visit
It was a nice visit and a nice drive in the country
10th June 2013

I LIKE IT
I LIKE IT WHEN I KNOW THAT 2 OR MORE TRAVELLERS MEET DUE TO THESE TRAVEL SITES. IN ARGENTINA WE SAY THE WORLD IS A HANDKERCHIEF, VERY SMALL. HUGS.
10th June 2013

visit
Thanks. I have heard that in Argentina instead of asking what someone does for work as they do in the US they ask "What do you do for Fun". I think that is a much better custom.
11th June 2013

Hi there
Isn't that lovely? TravelBlog sure is the friendliest site in cyber world! And we're all living up to this. Take care, you two.
11th June 2013

Thanks
Thanks. It was nice visiting Bob and I am having a great time exploring Colorado again.

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb