Fabulous Rocky Mountain National Park


Advertisement
Published: June 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

How do you like this view?How do you like this view?How do you like this view?

Rocky Mountain NP, near Glacier Basin Campground
Thursday, 26 June, 2014



We awoke this morning to the sound of a leaf blower out in the parking lot and knew right away what was going on. There are several large cottonwood trees in the campground and they have been releasing their puffball seeds. At times the air has been so full of these little cotton balls that it looks like it is snowing. Anyway, they were trying to use the leaf blower to move these giant dust bunnies into a heap so they could scoop them up. After a little while they gave up and just used a push broom. Before the leaf blower started, Kerry saw deer wading down the creek beside the campground, until they got spooked and ran off.



We left Manitou Springs and drove to I-25 where we headed north again. Around Denver the yellowish smog was so thick it almost obscured the mountains. I hear there are days that the smog is so bad that Denverites can't even see the mountains.



We were going to take Hwy 34 to Estes Park and then to Rocky Mountain National Park, but there was major road construction going
Mile High StadiumMile High StadiumMile High Stadium

Kerry thought this was a roller coaster as we were nearing it.
on to repair the road from last fall's floods, so we were turned back to take Hwy 7. This was a longer road, maybe steeper in places, but still pretty and we finally got to Estes Park, just a little later than we had hoped. After setting up the camper at Glacier Basin campground in the national park, then eating a little lunch, we headed out to drive up Trail Ridge Road.



What a gorgeous drive on a beautiful day. There is still a lot of snow on the tops of the high mountains and in the bowls and crevasses. We saw yellow bellied marmot and quite a few elk, a few of which were very near the road. Sean got to play in the snow again and throw snowballs with Papa. We went as fall as Alpine Visitor Center, which sits at 11,796'. It was cool up there, but not cold like the other times we had driven there. What huge, breath-taking vistas there are in this wonderful national park.



Back at camp, Sean finished his junior ranger activity book and went looking for a ranger to validate it and give him his jr. ranger badge. After supper he found some kids to play with, so he's a happy camper.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Sean sniffing Ponderosa PineSean sniffing Ponderosa Pine
Sean sniffing Ponderosa Pine

We were told the bark smells like butterscotch. It does.
A room with a viewA room with a view
A room with a view

Rocky Mountain NP
Rocky Mountain NPRocky Mountain NP
Rocky Mountain NP

view from Alpine
Snowball KingSnowball King
Snowball King

Rocky Mtn NP
Sean going up the trailSean going up the trail
Sean going up the trail

near Alpine Visitor center
Rocky Mountain NPRocky Mountain NP
Rocky Mountain NP

Sean took this picture
Rocky Mountain NPRocky Mountain NP
Rocky Mountain NP

photo by Sean
Elk at 11,000'Elk at 11,000'
Elk at 11,000'

Rocky Mountain NP
Rocky Mountain NPRocky Mountain NP
Rocky Mountain NP

This guy was by the side of the road at around 11,000'


28th June 2014

Really good photos of our beautiful USA!

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0591s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb