And they're off...


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Car, Coach, Train, Plane... and we arrive at Denver International Airport. It's sunny and around 80F and we've just missed a mega hailstorm. Rob's there to meet us and we pile into his car and start the 2 hour drive to Winter Park/Fraser where we are staying with Rob and Helen for 5 nights (what have they let themselves in for?).

Lowlight of the drive: Passing the Purina Dog Food factory which was polluting the atmosphere with a really delightful dog food stink. Yum.

Highlight(s) of the drive: Following Clear Creek and seeing the gold mines, a waterfall, avalanche paths, and amazing hairpin bends.

A bit of socialising and then collapsing into bed: had a comfy but interrupted sleep - mainly due to Jack shouting "what's that noise? It's freakin' me out!" when he heard the thousand mile long train blaring it horns as it passed a few miles away. Jet lag woke us early - half four or something equally dramatic - then gradually came round to consciousness with the aid of iPod entertainment. Rob and Helen have shocked us by transforming into early birds.


Advertisement



6th August 2008

Dog Food Smell
I've been reading your blog and was amused by your story of the dog food smell on I-70. I've lived in Denver for 16 years and I've never gotten used to the smell either! The dog food factory was built there way back when there was no I-70 and very little else in that spot. The city grew around it. I personally wish they would move it to a land far, far away. The good news is, the smell doesn't travel that far. Thanks for stopping by our wonderful state!

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb