Redstone, Colorado


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Redstone
July 21st 2012
Published: July 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Historic Redstone, surrounded by National Forest, lies within the heart of the Elk Mountains. The village is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as an historic district and includes several properties that are also separately listed on the National Register. Redstone was established in the late 19th century industrialist John Cleveland Osgood as part of a coal mining enterprise. Osgood's coal empire also spurred construction of the Crystal River Railroad and Redstone's historic dwellings. As an experiment in "enlightened industrial paternalism," Osgood constructed 84 cottages and a 40-room inn, all with indoor plumbing and electricity, for his coal miners and cokers, as well as modern bathhouse facilities, a club house with a library and a theatre, and a school. Most of these Craftsman-era Swiss-style cottages are still used as homes. A dominant feature of Redstone is Cleveholm Manor, commonly called "Redstone Castle," an opulent 42-room Tudor-style mansion that Osgood built for his second wife, Swedish Countess Alma Regina Shelgrem. Construction of Cleveholm Manor, which was designed by New York architects Boal and Harnois, began in 1897 and was completed in 1901. The Castle was part of a 72-acre (29 ha) estate that also included servants' quarters, a gamekeeper's lodge, a carriage house, and a greenhouse.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb