4th of July in Colorful Colorado


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Pueblo
July 4th 2019
Published: July 5th 2019
Edit Blog Post

We went to the Boot Hill Museum this morning, but it was too early and it wasn't open yet. We wanted to get on the road kind of early because it was predicted to be 100 degrees in Pueblo, CO, our destination for the day. We didn't want to wait around for it to open, so we got a picture in front of the entrance building. What we could see from outside actually looked pretty neat, you know, an old west town with store fronts and the Long Branch Saloon. They probably have Miss Kitty, too.



After that quick stop, we mounted up and headed west on good old US 50. Navigating our way was pretty easy. It was pretty much just get back on 50 and head west.



This may come as a surprise to some of you, but Kansas is not terribly scenic. It's kind of like Illinois only bigger. We rode through the Scenic Flint Hills and somehow missed the scenic part and the hills part. There was a slight rise in the terrain off in the distance and I guess that was it because Jim said he has driven through there before and that's all there is.



On the way, we stopped in La Junta, CO looking for a place to have lunch. We rode into the town square, made a turn and all of a sudden the street was full of people shooting water guns at each other and at any vehicle driving by, including us. We got a good soaking on two different streets and it felt mighty good in the 96 degree heat. They call it a "wet and wild" 4th of July parade and they are common out here.



Now we were finally starting to see mountains in the distance, getting us excited for the next days. After 280 miles, we arrived in Pueblo, CO. Tomorrow we go to see the U.S. Air Force Academy and head to Estes Park, CO, the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



5th July 2019

Wet and wild 4th of July parade sounded like so much fun!! I'm sure you both were happy to get squirted!! Hopefully, cooler weather is your next stop!!
6th July 2019

MC Trip
Better than getting shot on Chicago streets ! Heard Colorado may have a few hills - have fun .

Tot: 0.304s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 119; dbt: 0.1628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb