Day 1 - South to Pikes Peak


Advertisement
Published: August 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

BNSF Coal TrainBNSF Coal TrainBNSF Coal Train

First train of the journey. Along I 25 south headed to Colorado Springs.
As we take I-25 south we normally pass multiple freight trains on both the east and west sides of the highway. This trip was no different and we stopped to watch a 120 car coal train head south.

Once we got to Colorado Springs we headed off for the train from Manitou Springs to the summit of Pikes Peak (14,110 ft) takes 3 hours round trip. We've taken this ride many times on the highest cog railway in the world. The temperature in Manitou was about 80 degrees F when we left and was about 39 degrees F at the summit. We always enjoy warm high altitude donuts at the summit to warm us up a bit. Nothing like a little winter in August. Saw some marmots, 1 deer, beautiful mountains, and a few great rainbows on the way back down the mountain.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Enjoying the SceneryEnjoying the Scenery
Enjoying the Scenery

Sean and Mary Ann enjoy the views as we climb the mountain.
For the Rail GuysFor the Rail Guys
For the Rail Guys

A switch at th summit for the cog railway.
Colorado SpringsColorado Springs
Colorado Springs

View from summit of Pikes Peak looking out toward Colorado Springs.
Have a Donut at the SummitHave a Donut at the Summit
Have a Donut at the Summit

Sean enjoys his donut and Drew tries not to think about the cold weather.
Cog Railway at the SummitCog Railway at the Summit
Cog Railway at the Summit

It's definitely cold. Mary Ann and Dean wait to board to head back down the mountain.
Rainbow on our returnRainbow on our return
Rainbow on our return

Looking out toward Colorado Springs we caught a few of these as we made our way down the mountain.


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.1109s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb