Colorado National Monument and More


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Grand Junction
September 26th 2010
Published: November 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After visiting the canyons, arches and curves of the Colorado River near Moab, Utah, we traveled east to Grand Junction Colorado to visit two dear relatives; Livie and Henry are living siblings of my deceased mother; rip 1971.

Henry hosted us to a delightful dinner at his favorite restaurant, and Livie hosted us to a delicious lunch in her and husband Don’s home. It was such a pleasure to reunite with these folk; aunt and uncles on my mom’s side of the family.

We told stories, maybe some fibs, and had a darn good, grinning time. I grinned and laughed until my cheeks hurt.

Nan, Shad and I found some time to drive up to the Colorado National Monument. That narrow, curvy road was a little scary when driving on the outside lane, near the drop dead zone. We just put The Beast (3500 HD Silverado) in low gear and chugged up.

Well, good times end, and we hitched up and headed west on Interstate 70 into and across Utah. We juked south on Interstate 15 to Beaver where we turned on Hwy 21 into Nevada.

I think we spent the night near Ely. From there we took Hwy 50, the Loneliest Highway west to a place on the east side of Reno. Talk about lonely; that is the part of the trip that convinced me to purchase some peace of mind; emergency road service. A break-down, flat tire or whatever out on that highway would have been very expensive to manage.

We passed on the outskirts of Reno and headed north into Oregon. From there it was a two day drive to the homestead.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 20; qc: 90; dbt: 0.1212s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb