From Yampa to Denver via grasslands


Advertisement
Published: May 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Near Steamboat SpringsNear Steamboat SpringsNear Steamboat Springs

WInter snows are still deep in this part of the Rockies.
May 18th. We break camp along the Yampa River early in the morning. Today we plan to travel toward the grasslands of northeastern Colorado before heading to Denver, where Leigh's cousin Ruth lives. We travel east, passing through Steamboat Springs, a ski resort area, where once again we encounter snow. We soon see high plain vistas and cattle ranches. We stop for the night in Fort Collins. With no camping spots available, we stay at a modest motel. The next morning we continue on through what is called short-grass prairie. Fairly bleak countryside with towns few and far between, dotted with the occasional forlorn windmill.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

High plains riverHigh plains river
High plains river

As we moved beyond the Rockies, we encountered the high plains with rivers meandering throughout.
Rangeland in ColoradoRangeland in Colorado
Rangeland in Colorado

The snow-covered mountains lie beyond the high plains rangeland of Colorado.
Curious cowCurious cow
Curious cow

This curious Angus ambled over to find out what we were doing by the side of the road.
Fort CollinsFort Collins
Fort Collins

No campgrounds in sight, this modest motel looked pretty good. Free wifi, too.
Short grass prairieShort grass prairie
Short grass prairie

The next morning we drove further east to encounter the empty expanse of the short-grass prairie, where the occasional yucca plant was the most noticeable feature.
Working windmillWorking windmill
Working windmill

The most prominent evidence of man's presence we encountered, this windmill, its blades spinning in the brisk wind, faithfully pumped away.
Picnic along the riverPicnic along the river
Picnic along the river

As we travel along, picnic tables aren't always easy to find. Here we pull out our camp table and chairs to take advantage of a scenic spot along the river east of Steamboat Springs.
Looking for a picnic spotLooking for a picnic spot
Looking for a picnic spot

The next day we aren't so lucky and make do with snacking in the car by an abandoned gas station after unsuccessfully searching for a town park.


Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0652s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb