Cub Lake Area


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Estes Park
August 17th 2019
Published: August 17th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Another late night for the Nelsons and Walkers. Last night we joined a night tour of the Stanley Hotel. The hotel was built in the early 1900s by the person who invented the Stanley Steamer. He and his twin brother developed early meat holds for taking photographs and speedier ways of developing photos. Their company was eventually bought out and became Kodak. They then built the Stanley Hotel so they could house all their guests from back east. A 40 room guest house. It real fame came in the 70s when Steven King stayed at the hotel and came up with the idea to write the Shinning. None of the movie was filmed there. A really elegant place.

Today we did a 5 mile hike to Cub Lake. Lots of small ponds, meadows and hills. The lake is at about 9,000 ft. A good moderate hike. Cub Lake is beautiful, but full of Lilly pads. Not very good for fishing. Probably the best part of today was the wildlife count. Today we saw moose, deer, wild turkeys, marmots, prairie chickens, and a huge bull elk. Not bad for a 5 mile hike.

Tomorrow will be our last day so
we are doing one more shorter hike to Alpine Falls. See you tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 22


Advertisement





Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb