Animas River Days


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Durango
June 8th 2013
Published: June 8th 2013
Edit Blog Post

....quick update as we sit here in the shade of our campsite. The sun is HOT here and the elevation high. We got into Durango ready to ride and explore this adventure city...however have found it a bit hard to find our energy. The elevation definitely plays a role and the sun sucks every bit of energy you have. We quickly found the Animas River that runs through town, and then quickly realized why kayaking and rafting are such big sports here. The river is raging and not the river you just hang out by- Yet fun as ever for Miss Kona!! The dog park is conveniently located between the river and mountain side and there is plenty of room to roam. There are always lots of dogs around but she is head set on the B-A-L-L and doesn't really pay any attention to the other dogs who "think she's cute".

Our campground is nice and thankfully has lots of shade. It has been nice to spread out on the air mattress in the tent at night but the creek behind us keeps waking Jo up at night thinking it is pouring rain! We have a pool close by and
Animas RiverAnimas RiverAnimas River

dog park
FREE - HOT showers, a real treat!

I decided to celebrate Jo's birthday a little early here on the road and cooked him all 3 meals! For those who don't already know- he likes to cook, and when I try to offer help- the best help is usually to give him space!!! SO, I tired to impress and think I succeeded!! (although he did try to cook dinner -I held my ground wouldn't let him!).

We rode some of the single tracks yesterday and hope to explore more in the next couple of days. The section we rode had trail markers but no trail names so it required a *double/ triple check* of the map at every intersection. Durango is often referred to as a "mountain bikers playground" and lots for us to explore.

Today started Animas River Days; a weekend event highlighting the popular sport of kayaking in town. This is Olympic Style kayaking and pretty impressive to watch. One of the events was a slalom course where they had to either go through- or down and back upstream and around- gates navigating the raging white waters of the Animas River. One of the female contestants was announced as being the worlds most decorated female kayaker and claims Durango as her home. Another event was titled the Kayak Rodeo where they have to sit in a waterfall and surf out the wave facing upstream/ while doing tricks at the same time.

But the big event of the day for us.....was the Dog Fetch Contest!!! both river and land divisions and Kona entered both!!! With added excitement and lots of distractions she held her own but didn't have her best showing. She did however make us proud with a podium finish in the River Event and won a snazzy new leash! Probably because her cousin Corey has kept a very close eye on her (and us) this trip!! (look close in pictures Mom!)

We are here until Monday/ Tuesday and then headed (quickly) across the mid west toward VA and the Shenandoah Mountains. Hoping to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway as we make our way north to NH.

XOXO. SP*


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Birthday CelebrationBirthday Celebration
Birthday Celebration

Breakfast- French Toast/ Strawberries, Eggs & Bacon!
Lunch-Lunch-
Lunch-

Park Picnic Style Cobb Salad!!
Dinner-Dinner-
Dinner-

Fish Tacos, Black bean/ cilantro brown rice & side of fresh pineapple.
Think Big!Think Big!
Think Big!

successfully dug this from 1ft under water!


9th June 2013

Ouray
Those are some really awesome meals for campground cooking. Since you are in Durango may I suggest you take a side trip to Ouray while you are so close. It is over a pretty good size pass but worth it. I spent 3 days there last week and blogged about them. There are two nice waterfalls to check out while there as well as a hot springs. Happy camping.
9th June 2013

enjoying
I can't tell you how much we look forward to your posts. Sounds like you are going to hustle to Va. That ride in western N.C. and Virginia is Fab. What a great country!!!!!!!!! tom and millie

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb