Don't be afraid to travel - at any age!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Denver
January 27th 2017
Published: January 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

One of my friends mentioned she hasn't traveled, now that her husband has passed away. What a waste! She and her husband traveled extensively over their many DECADES together, I encouraged her to continue that spirit on her own. Here are some of the tips I gave her, expanded out into my latest blog post.



Whether your business takes you away from home or you are looking for a memorable vacation, you can benefit from these handy tips on travel. While travel has tended to become faster and cheaper over time, there is still a big difference between the costs you experience as an unprepared traveler versus being a well-educated one.



Bring clothing that is suitable for travel. This means items that you can wash and dry in the hotel room, and that won't wrinkle from being air-dried. Also, remember that you can buy clothing as you go, and it will most likely be more suitable to the climate and culture of the area.



If you plan to go shopping for clothes while abroad, research that area's measurement system. Garment measurements vary greatly from country to country. They also vary greatly from brand to brand. However, a basic knowledge of their clothes sizes will help you get in the ballpark as far as finding a size that fits you goes.



Ask a friend or family member to drive you to the airport. You can save on cab fare and long term parking fees. Many people will be happy to perform this favor for you, especially if you are willing to reciprocate later on down the road, when they are taking a vacation.



If you're traveling to a country where you're likely to want to enjoy a bottle of wine, bring along your own corkscrew. If you don't know the area or speak the language, tracking down a corkscrew just for that impromptu picnic can turn a relaxing afternoon into a harried scavenger hunt.



Try using a racing belt to thwart pickpockets. Getting robbed can ruin your entire vacation. To lessen the chances of this happening, consider investing in the storage belts racers use to store their keys, money, and such. This will keep your valuables close to your body where they are less likely to be stolen.



If you are interested in international travel but you can't afford it, consider volunteering to work at with an international charity. Many charities will allow you to live for free at an overseas location, in exchange for your work at one of their facilities, such as a hospital, school or nursery.



When traveling, many times you will need a rental car. When you arrive to pick up your car, the agent will help you complete the rental process. You will be presented with a car rental agreement, be sure to read it thoroughly before signing it. Assure you know exactly what your liability is and exactly what you are paying for by renting the car. You should look over the car and if you see any defects make sure it is noted on the agreement.



If your schedule allows it, leave yourself one day after your vacation before going back to work. You never know what kind of surprises you will encounter when you get back home. Plus it will also allow you to transition into reality and your daily grind a little bit easier.



When traveling with a baby, use the hotel's coffee machine to sterilize your bottles. Wash all the different parts to the bottles using soap and hot water. Plug up the sink and place all the bottle items in it. Allow the coffee machine to fill with water and then turn it on. Wait for the water to heat up and then pour the hot water over the bottles, nipples and rings. Repeat as necessary, completely covering the items with the water. Let them soak for at least five minutes, and your baby will have a sanitary bottle to drink from.



To avoid having to talk to your seatmate on a long flight, wear headphones, even if you don't feel like listening to music. The headphones or earbuds will indicate to your seatmate that you are busy and unavailable to chat, which will allow you to relax or get some work done without being bothered.



There's a reason every diet program and nutritionist out there tells you to drink water and lots of it. Keeping yourself hydrated with water, rather than coffee, tea or soda, can prevent you from experiencing fatigue and excessive tiredness. These feelings are notorious triggers for emotional eaters. Drinking water before a meal also helps you to feel fuller faster.



Try to be flexible about your travel dates. If you can search for a day before and a day after a particular date, you will likely see that prices can vary. You may save some money by flying out a day earlier or later. These savings could easily add up to well over, a hundred dollars.



Make sure to do some research on car rental rates when traveling. These rates tend to fluctuate more than those of airlines, but they don't require money down until you are at the counter. Make a reservation and keep tabs on the rates to make sure they don't drop. If they do, make a new reservation at the lower price to save money.



Use your work address or a business card in your suitcase tags if you are wary of strangers getting a hold of your home address. With the increase in identity theft cases, many people want to protect their identities whenever possible. By using your work address on your luggage, you can protect your identity while still making it possible for you to be reached if your bags are lost.



A great travel tip is to not leave important things lying around in the room that you're staying at. A maid or cleaning person can easily snatch your wallet if you leave it lying on your bed or your dresser. Always keep your important things hidden or on your person.



Educating yourself on the ins and outs of traveling can save you more than just money. Savvy travelers not only get to their destinations for less money, they often get there faster - and almost always less stressed out. The tips in this article are just the start of your travel education; be on the lookout for more ways to save time and money.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0753s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb