Westwards to Denver


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Denver
August 2nd 2011
Published: August 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

On sunday, Regina had to reach Chicago to board the airliner back to Amsterdam. Fortunately, Keith & Dru also had to drive to Chicago to reach their flight to Washington, and they offered to pick up Regina in Manitowoc, a small town on Lake Michigan on their path, and only 20 min flight from Oshkosh.

Since most other planes in Oshkosh wanted to depart Sunday morning as well, we decided to leave very early, before the departure rush-hour traffic in Oshkosh started. And so just after sunrise, all camping gear was stowed in the plane, and we taxied towards the long runway. Not much traffic ahead, but many others following us - we were sent by tower to the left side of the runway, next one was behind us in the right side. No talking from our side - controller say, you do. And no problems with the departure (although there were many planes all around us), and at 7:30 we were already in Manitowoc, and refueled DDN with the cheap fuel there.

Now the nice thing about flying in the US is that people want to help you. We walked to the FBO, and they gave a directly a courtesy car so we could drive the 4 miles to the best breakfast place in the area ('you refueled her, so you can have a car'😉. Excellent breakfast, and just after we came back to the airport, Keith and Dru showed up and loaded Regina in their car - apparently they made it fine to O'Hare, as Regina is now back in Leiden.

I took off with DDN for my 6+hour flight to Denver-Centennial, with a refueling stop planned in Broken Bow, Nebraska, probably not the most famous place along the route, but they have the cheapest fuel in the area. Nice flight around some fluffy Cumulus clouds, and in Broken Bow were already several planes form Oshkosh refueling for the further way West. And again, very friendly service in the local FBO - they offered a courtesy car as well, but this time I didn't need one.

It was a rather long flight to Denver Centennial, as it was quite bumpy and hot - at low level outside temperature reached 40C, and cylinder heads became so hot that I climbed to higher altitudes again. Suzan picked me up in Centennial, and vacation with the De Seguins.
Keith & Dru pick up ReginaKeith & Dru pick up ReginaKeith & Dru pick up Regina

with their HUGH car


Monday was hiking day - Suzan, Michel, Taos (the friendly Giant Schnauzer) and I walked a few hours in the beautiful mountains West of Denver.
No hiking today - I have a day off from vacation and attend the Wind Lidar Working Group meeting, presenting Aeolus status (fun, much interest on what we are doing).
But tomorrow its back to vacation.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Broken Bow airportBroken Bow airport
Broken Bow airport

in Nebraska - cheapest fuel, not much else
Suzan & Michel with TaosSuzan & Michel with Taos
Suzan & Michel with Taos

tired after the hike


Tot: 0.24s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb