Day 23 to 26: Denver, Colorado Holy Cow!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Denver
August 5th 2009
Published: August 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

These past few days have been quite adventure packed! We stayed in Yellowstone National Park for two nights. We would’ve stayed longer, but there were so many people, my mom, sister, and I felt like we were at Disney World. We felt like that especially at the Old Faithful. It was so cool when the geyser spurt out steamy water over 100 feet high. My dad loved the geysers and animals. We all loved the nature walk with a ranger and twelve others. At night, we would fall asleep to motorcycles speeding through the campground.

Comments from Paulo: I loved almost everything about Yellowstone: the large animals, the views, the vegetation, the geothermal features (geysers, mud holes, and fumaroles), the mountains, the lake, etc. etc. As Ellie mentioned above, the place was Harley Davidson heaven, but we’re not a Harley family, so the high noise level starting around 6:30 AM and going until late at night was not a hit. The trip out of Yellowstone was slow and bumpy, but well worth the effort. We had decided to make a detour and take a look at Jackson Hole, WY. I didn’t know how dramatic and fantastic the scenery would be. The Great Teton National Forest is breath-taking: massive mountains rise up to about 12K feet. The foreground on the way to Jackson is completely flat - the counter-point of both is awe-inspiring.

After we left we drove to a hotel south east of Yellowstone, in a little town called Riverton, WY. We hit loads of traffic, and we got there at 11:30 PM.
Comments from Paulo: we left Jackson just as a torrential rainstorm started to come down. The mountains are so high in that area, however, that the storm was contained by the mountains around Jackson, so we were able to get away from the storm. Things went well for a while, until we hit a lot of roadwork on our way to Riverton. We had to stop twice for a total of about one hour.
When we finally went to bed, we all fell asleep quickly. We ate a delicious breakfast at the hotel and we got right on the road. We drove all the way to Denver, and that was an easy and beautiful drive.

Today, we’re staying at a Renaissance hotel near the airport in Denver. Our hotel is very nice. We swam in an outdoor pool and then watched a little bit of TV. Just recently dad and I went outside on our balcony to find a magnificent sunset over the Rockies and the skyline. Tomorrow dad will be leaving us to go back home. Boo-hoo! But, we’re going to see him in a few weeks so that should be fun.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Ellie by GeothermalsEllie by Geothermals
Ellie by Geothermals

Very, very stinky!
Caution, Huge WaterfallCaution, Huge Waterfall
Caution, Huge Waterfall

Upper falls, Yellowstone River
Grand TetonGrand Teton
Grand Teton

Approaching from Yellowstone


5th August 2009

sagebrush
looks like you saw some critters! i love the photos, especially of the g tetons! i will get bk to breastfeeding in my mountainous sleep now... :-) heeeeeeeeeeeeee-haaaaaaawwwww, amy (ps despite my silliness, i truly love the tetons)
5th August 2009

Glad to hear from you again. I have heard that Yellowstone is more hospitable for visitors in any other season than summer. But, I am glad you enjoyed the scenery, animals, and geysers. Aren't the silhouettes of the huge mountain ranges against the horizon dramatic? I remember the Rockies suddenly appearing on the horizon as we drove toward Denver. I will get to work on the food for all of you. Guess your dad leaves today; I know you will miss him. But, how lucky you were able to share a portion of your adventure with him. See you soon!
5th August 2009

What an amazing trip! I think that Yellowstone is the Vegas of national parks. Pretty flashy. The Tetons are where I want to retire. So beautiful. Will lives just West of Denver in Golden. It's super close to Red Rocks. If you have time you may want to swing by. Sorry we missed you in San Diego!
7th August 2009

LE, You will be here soon! Hope the Rockies were awe-inspiring for all of you. They are really dramatic. On your trip here, are you going to stop in St. Louis and go up in the Gateway Arch? The ascent is rather different as you go up on a curve and the view of the Mississippi is wonderful. Suggest to your mom, that when you get into Indiana, you will take State road 46 just east of Terre Haute. There will be a sign that gives the road number and says Bloomington. That would be easier than going all the way to Indianapolis, getting wrapped up in the messes there, etc. Besides, it is a prettier drive. When you get to Terre Haute which is just on the border with Illinois across the Wabash River, you will be about 1 hour or 1 hour and some minutes from Bloomington. See you very soon! Love, Anne
8th August 2009

Just had a naked Thai-Me-Up burrito at the Planet. I just had to do some quality control investigation before you go there. Everything seemed in good shape; they are awaiting your visit! How are things in the Rockies?
10th August 2009

Sunday in Tacoma
Hope you are well and having a good time....where are you and where are you staying? This blog has been a stroke of genius as it is so great to read about what ;you have been doing been doing and to see the pictures. We had a nice visit with Tim Jewell and his wife Trish. Charley grilled hamburgers and we had the fixings:potato salad. cole slaw, oriental noodle salad. this has been the first day that the sun has been out Love to each of you!
10th August 2009

Hi Amy, Uncle J, and not so little Iago! Yes, I agree that the Grand Tetons are awesome! Oregon is very green with a town which is good. Yeah, my arm is getting better. Can't wait to see you in a few days! Love, love, and so much more kove, Ellie
10th August 2009

Hi G-Ma! That's good that you got to see friends! We're in Denver, again tonight. Lots of love,Ellie
10th August 2009

Hi Anne! YAY! I'm so excited to eat at the famous Laughing Planet! How's Amy and her husband and son? The Rockies are spectacular! I think we're going through St. Louis there. We will stop and see the arch but we'll probably see it. The Terre Haute sounds good, thanks! Yeah, the silhouettes are dramatic. See u soon! Love, Elie
10th August 2009

Hi Helen! Yes, it is like Vegas! Cool, the Tetons are nice. It'll be nice to see you sometime! Love, Ellie
10th August 2009

Hi Kathleen!! Yeah, long time no see, really! :) This trip is really fun. What's up? I haven't gotten a tan. When I was staying with my cousins in California, they were telling me how this summer has been hotter than normal (they live outside of San Diego). Have you been to Cape Cod recently? I get back home on August 23. Do you want to go out to ice cream or go swimming, or something? Your friend, Ellie

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb