10th Annual Telemark Freeskiing Extreme Championships


Advertisement
Published: May 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Crested ButteCrested ButteCrested Butte

The weather for the competition couldn't have been nicer...except if it were snowing.
Well...Home again, home again.

I miss Spain alot, but I do love Colorado in the winter time!!!

During the week of March 22-26, my ski buddy, Skylar, and I took the trip to Crested Butte for the U.S. Telemark Big Mountain Extreme Championships.

The conditions were rocky and icy, "Boney" as one guy put it. So, for my first competition I didn't do so bad...but I didn't do so well either.

I plan to get into shape this summer, ski hard next fall and go back next year with more power. Not skiiing all fall and drinking lots of Spanish wine certainly didn't help my perfomance in the competition (but...it was worth it).

Skylar, on the other hand, made it to the second day. However, even though he had a really good line that day (down body bag) he "sat down" on his landing off the last cliff; which caused him to not advance.

We had a really fun week in Crested Butte and we made a hopefully life-long friend, Rolf, a swiss sponsored Tele-skier, so all in all the week was a complete success.





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Competitors ready for the TCompetitors ready for the T
Competitors ready for the T

Crstd Btte has a lot of T-bars. This is the first wave of competitors on our way to inspect the run.
Head WallHead Wall
Head Wall

This is where the first day of the competition was held. The picture shows the moguls pretty accurately, but it dosen't show the rocks.
Another ViewAnother View
Another View

Skylar and I tried to get another inspection run in but we were too late. This is from the outside of the course looking in.
Body Bag and Dead End ChutesBody Bag and Dead End Chutes
Body Bag and Dead End Chutes

The second day of the competition was held here...on Body Bag and Dead End Chutes. The stuff on looker's right is Body Bag and The Dead End Chutes are on the left.
Hamburger RockHamburger Rock
Hamburger Rock

This is a close-up of the large rock at the bottom in between Body Bag and Dead End. Last year the winner, Dylan Crossman, hucked a backflip off of it.
There's a reason its called, "Body Bag"There's a reason its called, "Body Bag"
There's a reason its called, "Body Bag"

This picture was taken at the end of Body Bag just to looker's right of the Hamburger. Steep aye!
Huck Huck
Huck

If you look closely you can see Skylar soaring through the trees like a flying squirrel...or something like that.
Snow on our way HomeSnow on our way Home
Snow on our way Home

Right as we were leaving a big storm rolled in and, just to tease us, it dropped fat-dry flakes on us for about an hour.


Tot: 0.284s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb