Day 18 - Golden, CO to Craig, CO


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Craig
May 29th 2012
Published: May 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Buffalo Bill's GraveBuffalo Bill's GraveBuffalo Bill's Grave

On Lookout Mountain just west of Golden, CO
It was another pretty easy day today which is good because 6,000 miles is starting to take a toll on us. My shoulder is starting to ache earlier each day than it did at the beginning of the trip, and we're getting worn out earlier after fewer miles. So another easy day with just over 200 miles was nice again.

We left Golden this morning and made a quick stop to see Buffalo Bill's grave. Neither Dad nor I knew that in addition to being a scout captain in the Indian wars, and of course running his traveling circus, he was also a Master Mason. From here we headed down I-70 about 20 miles to Colorado Route 40 which will take us almost all the way to Salt Lake City. We passed through the Rockies again on our way west, crossing the 11,000 foot elevation mark again, and getting pretty cold. We stopped for coffee in Winter Park at Rocky Mountain Roasters, where we were able to sit and relax for a half hour since we were in no rush today with a lower mileage day. They also had a great peanut butter chocolate chip cookie.

From here, we continued on to Steamboat Springs, where we stopped at F.M. Light department store. The store has been in the same location and family owned since 1905. We browsed the cowboy boots and hats, read a little bit about the history of the store and the family, and then continued on the last 40 miles to Craig.

We got to the hotel at about 3:30, and were surprised with a large suite instead of the standard room. We grabbed dinner at Vallarta Mexican Restaurant which was recommended by the hotel, and it was an excellent meal. We started with queso dip and dad had the chicken fajitas. I had chile Colorado, which was essentially beef in a red chile sauce. It reminded me of the homemade food I would have with friends when I lived in Tucson. We finished with some frozen yogurt at TCBY and then headed back to the hotel to relax. This is probably one of the earliest blogs we've posted in the evening since it's only about 8:00pm here. We're relaxed on the couch watching a little TV, and getting to bed early since we have our last long day tomorrow. We'll do about 350 miles tomorrow to get to Salt Lake City where we have 3 nights to see the sights, drop of the motorcycles for shipping and fly home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

F.M. LightF.M. Light
F.M. Light

Family owned and in the same location since 1905 in Steamboat Springs.
Ma and Ben FranklinMa and Ben Franklin
Ma and Ben Franklin

Mr. Franklin, for Christmas this year I'd like some electricity.
A nice surpriseA nice surprise
A nice surprise

We were upgraded to a suite!


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb