Day 13: Madlibs, Ga Ga, Tumbleweeds, and the Great Continental Divide


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Cortez
July 9th 2015
Published: July 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 13: Mileage to start the day 3150. Latitude 37.34, Longitude-108.74.Temp was supposed to be 81 when we arrived in Cortez, CO but it is 65 and cloudy again; ending mileage for the day 3418.

Today is another travel day. Shorter though, only a four and a half hour drive to our destination. Once again we filled up on a great breakfast at the Evergreen Cafe and said goodbye to Amy and Halle who were so nice to us the last couple days--they liked our appetites and Luc's Pink Floyd T shirt. We left the Thunder Lodge to make our way further West and South.

Not long after we climbed into Silver Sally, Luc broke out the Madlibs. As we passed through the Rockies, we (Tracey and I) were overcome with this impressive site to behold. The boys gave us a courtesy, "wow, that is cool" each time we said to look out the window at the mountains. I think they were impressed the first few times we pointed out the view and after the fiftieth time they were just humoring us. Luc belted out into song while Poker Face played on the radio. We will be saving and enjoying that candid video clip for many years to come.

We will have to repaint Silver Sally tomorrow as the thunderstorms we drove through cleaned her but also took off our destination graffiti.

We crossed the Rio Grande River and the Great Continental Divide as we zig zagged our way through the Rockies.

As we drew nearer to Cortez, an honest to God tumbleweed crossed our path. It was the diameter of a semi-truck's tire. I was so shocked, as it is the first real tumbleweed I have ever witnessed, we missed it--me, taking a picture of it and Tracey guiding Silver Sally around it.

We did not know what to make of Cortez as we pulled in. However, we quickly discovered it is another cool Colorado town. We ate a great dinner at Pepperheads, picked up some homemade ice-cream at where else but--Moose and More. We also visited a local used book store and found the owner's dinner in a crock pot on the floor of the non-fiction section. It looked like it only had about an hour or two to go and I think it is in case she gets the munchies later. We also discussed her 'preference' of Batman over Spiderman (which is most understandable) and other random subjects.

Nothing too crazy when we got back to the hotel-swim, soak, sauna and hit the sack because tomorrow it is up early to visit Mesa Verde.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb