White's T Trip


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Cortez
July 17th 2013
Published: July 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

July 17th, 2013 7:55pm Mt Time

Day 8

We left Walsenburg at 7:20am, weather was sunny and cool, our travel today is 303 miles to Cortez, CO. We drove 24 miles to the Old La Veta Pass, 5.6 miles of winding dirt roads. The scenery was beautiful, rocks had fallen off mountain and onto the road. We stopped at the summit in Uptop Ghost town. There is one house there that someone lives in, I believe they take care of the other buildings. There is a one room museum and a small Church and a few other buildings. The elevation at the La Veta Pass summit is 9,414 ft. You can search the Old La Veta Pass on the Internet. The mountain range is gorgeous. We made it up another mountain with an elevation of 9363 ft., our next gas stop was in Antonito, Co. only to find it out of business.There were 101 miles on tank of gas so we decided to try and make it to Chama, NM., 48 miles farther. I said we could make it if there are no high mountains. The old Model T tried it's best to pull the mountain at the La Manga Pass elevation 10,276 ft., made it 3/4 way up when it sputtered and tried to slosh it's way up, had to pull over, checked tank, 2 gallons was in tank. so we used the 3 gallons we carried with us. We gassed up in Chama, NM. This small town was full of motorcycles, while gassing up one lone motorcyclist came over to me to see the car and talk about the trip, before he left he asked me if it would be ok if he prayed with Mae & me for our trip. Another motorcyclist was with the group Christian Motorcyclist Association, this group was having a rally in Chama, NM. He gave Mae a cleanup rag for simple messes and for tough messes follow the enclosed instructions which was a Christian tract. We continue to be amazed at how GOD is working as we travel. We got about 1 mile from Chama and the speedometer stopped working, disengaged the gears. The rest of the trip toward Cortez went smoothly. We arrived at our destination at 6:00pm. We were unable to upload today's photos, we will try again later.

Jacque & Mae

Advertisement



18th July 2013

following your trip -
Glad to hear you are getting closer to your destination. It's amazing how GOD puts those "angels" along our path when we need that extra little help to get us where we are going. Hope the heat isn't as bad as it is here in CT. Yesterday one thermometer was reading 101 in the shade. In the 90's and humidity is high. Got out for a ride on Sun in the red touring (which has the new crank). Visited a couple friends and of course some ice cream. Enjoy you ride and I (Barb) will pray for your safe trip. Did you get your radiator fixed?
18th July 2013

Great trip!
I have 3 model T's Someday Id like to take a trip like you are with my 1919 touring car. Question, How did you plan your routes you stayed on the slower roads?
19th July 2013

Planning a Model T Trip
Will, I don't think I know who you are. It is amazing when a blog is on the Internet, many people find it. Our blog started out so our family, friends and our T friends could follow us. We never knew what a blog was until 3weeks before our trip. My wife and I are doing our best to learn our way around the blog site. Glad you found our site and hope you enjoy it. Every day we meet wonderful people and each day is new and exciting. I planned our trip using aaa.com trip planner. Many months have been spent trying to find as direct a route using as many back roads as possible, yes we will use interstate roads at times for as short a distance as possible. Hope this helps you whenever you take your trip. Jacque
18th July 2013

Your blog
Just wanted to let you know that we are following your blog. I am so glad that you are taking the time to tell us all about your trip. I talked to Austin last night. I can't believe you are doing this but your trip sounds great. Safe trip. God bless you both. Love ya, Janet and Nelson
19th July 2013

Chama, NM
Wish I had known you were going to Chama, NM. My old Army buddy lives there.
19th July 2013

Doug from Garden City, KS...It took me a while to find your blog.
It sounds like the Lord is still showing himself strong! Look forward to following your progress.

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb