4/16/2012 - Left Sun Valley headed toward Cortez, CO.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Cortez
April 16th 2012
Published: April 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Started out today with the intentions of visiting Canyon De Chelly at Chinle, AZ and then on to Four Corners.

Saw sheep/rams and wild horses while on the road today.

At the Canyon we met a painter by the name of Brian Tollak from Taos, NM. He was painting Spider Rock. Which is huge twin towers of stone from the canyon floor. He informed us that they were filming the LONE RANGER today at the Canyon. The movie stars Johnny Depp. At the White House Overlook, met a young man named Lambert; who actually lives on the canyon floor with his grandmother who is 75. The conversation with him started as a result of Jack and I discussing the trail which led from the canyon rim to the floor. Lambert was standing closeby and stated that his 75 year old grandmother makes that trip twice a day. WOW!! He was at the overlook admiring the view like everyone else. He was very informative about life in the canyon. He said that his grandmother had told him that the tribal stories teach that the Anastazi Indians drew a forbidden symbot and all disappeared within 24 hours. It is a fact that no one knows why they abandoned their cliff dwellings and villages with no trace of reason nor where they went.

We then traveled to the North Rim of the Canyon to view the Antelope House and the Mummy Cave. At the Antelope House there was a mother and two daughters selling pottery and jewelry which was made by her son. They were of the Navajo tribe. We needed binoculars to get a good view of the drawings. They are in many locations in the Canyon.

While on the rim we watched a wolf run down the road on the canyon floor and enter into a wooded area.

I hope the pics do the scenery justice, but do not see how they could convey the scenes even close to seeing them for yourself.

When we arrived at Four Corners they close at 7pm - - we arrived at 7:14pm. Ok, we will come back tomorrow.

Had supper at Denny's in Cortez followed by a quick trip to Wal-Mart :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 100, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0935s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb