Colorado Springs


Advertisement
Published: May 15th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Had a windy trip from Santa Fe to Colorado Springs, but the scenery was wonderful through the mountains. All the mountains were snow capped and the sky was blue so it was beautiful. We visited the Garden of the Gods which is such a gift to all who come here. It is easily viewed from the road or can be hiked through also.

Colorado Springs has the only American mountainside zoo, Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. It is at 6800 feet and all up hill, but it was an interesting zoo to visit. It has lots of hands on things for kids to do. They can feed lettuce to the giraffes and vegetables/fruits to the elephants. The peacocks where just out walking around the zoo. They had great African lions and mountain lions along with beautiful tiger. We enjoyed the morning spent there.

The coolest thing we did here was ride the Pike Peak Cog Railroad. It was the perfect day to do it as the sky was clear and we were the first cars to make it all the way to the top for several days because of recent snowfall. It was a little cool at the top (20 degrees) and had to hike through snow as they hadn't shoveled out all the paths but the view was worth it. The guide on the train said we could see into Kansas, New Mexico, Wyoming and the Continental Divide. They even sell oxygen boost for those that might experience some altitude illness. I gave mine to an older lady that was suffering at the top and I only noticed a slight headache.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb