Blue Skies, A Mile High


Advertisement
Published: August 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The drive into Colorado Springs was plagued by lots and lots of road construction - an occurrence we have encountered throughout the country. Funded primarily from federal stimulus money, the road construction has clearly put many people back to work. Bummer that it's in the middle of the longest road trip of our lives (thus far, anyways!). The two lane highways are merged into one lane where the ongoing traffic is held up on the other side for 15-20 minutes at a time. Frustrating when you get 30-45 miles away from your destination after being on the road for hours and hours! But we got here and checked into the Antlers Hilton in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

One observation - we really suspect that the recession is over. There are so many people in restaurants, shopping, staying in hotels. Not just here in Colorado, but throughout our entire trip.

It is much like every trip to Colorado we have ever had - we immediately felt right at home. We got unpacked and settled and walked across the street to a much recommended Phantom Canyon Brewing Company. Best known for a phenomenal microbrewery community, we were excited to try this one
Colorado Springs, COColorado Springs, COColorado Springs, CO

Garden of the Gods
after the bell captain at the hotel said this particular place was her absolute favorite restaurant in all of Colorado Springs. We arrived right prior to happy hour and met a very friendly bartender who helped us decide what beer to order (with lots of samples). I had read about their Continuum Ale - a belgian style wit bier. It was terrific - orange peel, citrus and coriander. I also tried their blonde ale and their amber ale, which I typically don't care for but this one was fabulous. It was light and had hints of toffee flavor. We also shared two appetizers - that totally earn mentions: a calamari that was smothered in a garlic buttered pickled banana pepper relish with two lovely dipping sauces. I know, peppers on a calamari - sounds strange but it was out of this world and the calamari were cooked perfectly with not too much batter and not rubbery at all. We also had a chicken fajita quesadilla with charred bell peppers, onions and grilled chicken. Best part of this dish was the tomatillo salsa it came with. Tangy with a perfect hint of jalapeno, lots of cilantro and maybe a little avocado.
Colorado Springs, COColorado Springs, COColorado Springs, CO

Jimmy & I at Helen Hunt Waterfall
We were also lucky enough to secure some recommendations on other "must sees" for the next day from our friendly bartender.

This morning we woke up quite early and tried to get the most out of the day. While I am so happy to be closer to home and in the West - the altitude is a killer! At 6,035 feet the city sits over one mile above sea level, though some areas of the city are significantly higher. Colorado Springs is situated near the base of one of the most famous American mountains, Pikes Peak, at the eastern edge of the southern Rocky Mountains. We climbed high so fast that I am suffering from a headache and am so sleepy!! We visited the Gardens of the Gods, a national natural landmark about 20 minutes from our hotel. Filled with red rock formations, the loop drive reminded us both of Moab-light, a nice appetizer before we head to Utah for the real deal later this week. The traffic was extraordinary! There were so many cars and so many people, we did the loop one time and moved along. There are several waterfalls in the area, one that has a
Colorado Springs, COColorado Springs, COColorado Springs, CO

The Sky Turned Black
fairly steep entry fee and a free one called Helen Hunt Waterfall - we opted to head to the free waterfall and were not disappointed. Named after Helen Hunt Jackson, the author of Ramona, this made me a bit homesick for Ventura County! The waterfall was beautiful and the mist coming off the rocks was a perfect cool. We took a bunch of pictures and headed down the canyon - just in the nick of time. The dark clouds came fast and the 30% chance of rain became 100% chance of rain. The sky opened up so fast and rain came so hard, it was amazing. When it is not raining for 15 minute shots, the sky is so blue and filled with billowing, cotton-like clouds.

Still suffering from the altitude by the afternoon, we had a mid-afternoon nap - a luxury that we haven't taken much advantage of on this trip. We awoke to hungry bellies and decided to go and scout out dinner. We tried several ideas before ended up at Mei's Hunan Springs - a chinese restaurant about four blocks from our hotel. The owner Mei welcomed us at the door and we were seated right
Colorado Springs, COColorado Springs, COColorado Springs, CO

Lovely Micro-brewed Beers
away. It smelled delicious but the restaurant was all but empty. We ordered a beef curry dumpling appetizer and ordered dishes to share: the chef's special combo in a garlic sauce with veggies, spicy pork and a low mien noodle dish. It took about 20 minutes to get the main dishes as they were cooked to order and piping hot! They were so yummy! Not especially spicy which is probably for the best with a 5.5 hour car ride tomorrow, but nicely seasoned. The vegetables were crisp and fresh and the sauces were delicious. The service was very attentive and very friendly. I was happy that all our other dinner possibilities fell through and that we ended up there for dinner!

We are now settled in for the night - dreaming of the red rock of our most beloved place - Moab. A perfect place to end our magical trip - a place that always leaves us restored and re-energized.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb