High in Colorado


Advertisement
Published: June 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Smoke from the Arizona wildfires made Pike's Peak a little hazy from our campsite in Colorado Springs. So we took the cog railway up to the top! The train was new, built in Switzerland. We drank lots of water to fend off altitude sickness. The views were spectacular. They only let you stay "up top" 40 minutes; otherwise, people get goofy, throw-up, and it makes for a bad day.

Back on the ground we found the train that Tom rode over 50 years ago as a little kid. Sadly, it was put in a place of honor and displayed as an antique! Enough said about that.

We took the opportunity while here to tour the Airforce Academy. Now we've seen Airforce, Marines, Army and Navy. We'll have to go back East to visit the Coast Guard academy.

There is quite a bit to see in this area but there was a fee for all of it except the Garden of the Gods and the Airforce Academy. I'd say the redrock of Sedona is more spectacular than Garden of the Gods and the waterfalls in North Carolina beat out Seven Falls of Colorado Springs. (So I didn't even include a picture on the blog of the waterfalls.) The Indian ruins were reconstructed and not worth the visit. But the weather, high 70's and low around 45 degrees.....that's nice for mid-June anywhere.

We met some new friends while in Colorado. Darlene and Tony who are Colorado natives, shared their elk meat with us. Debbie and Greg who live in Southern California, toured the Mollie Kathleen gold mine with us (1,000 ft. below ground. And again, I say "thank you" to Debbie for keeping me calm on the elevator ride down. ) We hope to see all of them again somewhere, sometime. That's one of the nice things about this lifestyle. Next stop is Wyoming.





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Mollie Kathleen Gold Mine, COMollie Kathleen Gold Mine, CO
Mollie Kathleen Gold Mine, CO

Still gold in Them There Hills!


22nd June 2011

High in Colorado
Great blog....enjoyed reading your adventure in Colorado and look forward to your stay in Wyoming. Makes us envious of your lifestyle as full-time RVers. It was so great to meet you guys. Hopefully we can meet again sometime.
8th July 2011

Friends in Colorado Springs
People like you two are what keep us exploring this great country!

Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 19; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0732s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb