Driving from Aspen over Independence Pass and on to Buena Vista


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Buena Vista
August 4th 2013
Published: August 5th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Over Independence Pass


Summer at Independence PassSummer at Independence PassSummer at Independence Pass

I'd argue the drive over Independence Pass outside of Aspen is the most beautiful in all of Colorado.
After a lazy morning at our hotel in Snowmass, Andrew and I made the short drive down to breakfast in Aspen. We parked on Main Street and strolled a few blocks to a breakfast place called Aspen Over Easy. The streets were lined with unlocked bikes and mopeds. It's such a cute town! Aspen Over Easy was bustling! Servers were rushing food and drinks out to people. The restaurant was buzzing with people's conversations. The liveliness was fun. We ordered breakfast and enjoyed people watching.

When we were finished, we decided to start making our way back home. We didn't want to retrace our steps on I-70, and so we drove a loop around the state. We took Highway 82 east out of Aspen and over Independence Pass, south on Highway 24 to Buena Vista, and then on to 285 north. Independence Pass was the most gorgeous drive I have ever taken in Colorado. Everything was green! Colorful wildflowers dotted the landscape. Also, we saw almost no evidence of beetle kill pines. The forests looked lush and healthy. In addition to the healthy pines, the mountains were dotted with groves of aspen trees. I bet it's gorgeous in late September when the aspens turn gold. A swollen river ran below us. We passed a campground called Weller Campground, and I made a mental note to camp there next time we want a mountain getaway.

I started to feel sick. It could have been breakfast. It could have been the high altitude. It could have been the windy mountain roads. I learned there is basically nowhere to stop on Independence Pass. We pulled over at Lost Man Campground so I could use the stinkiest outhouse I've ever come across. After that, I had to stop again at the Continental Divide to use the outhouses there (much better!). I couldn't even bring myself to hike around the Divide.

We finally got off the pass. We made it to Buena Vista. Although I was feeling better, I thought stopping to rest from the drive a bit would be a good idea. A sign advertised a bakery & coffee shop called "The Brown Dog," so we pulled over. The place was jamming! A line went out the door, and it took us about 20 minutes to order our coffee and at least another 5 minutes to get it. The cost wasn't the
The Continental DivideThe Continental DivideThe Continental Divide

We're above treeline here (trees can't grow past about 12,000 feet). It was cloudy and beautiful, but I was too sick to walk around and check out the scenery.
best, either. The wait and price were worth it, though, because our coffee and cookies were delicious. Andrew selected a peanut butter graham cracker bar, and he said it was "like award-winning good." We relaxed there for quite a while. He did some work stuff, and I kicked back. The place never emptied! Apparently, if you are in Buena Vista, it's the place to be. We'll definitely stop in again if we're ever in the area (or perhaps at their other location in Salida).


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.236s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 84; dbt: 0.1807s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb