Way Out West 2021


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Avon
September 5th 2021
Published: September 8th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Today was going to be a big day. We were driving from Kanab, Utah to Avon, Colorado. It was a 9 hour drive but we had several stops we wanted to make. Plus we are older…. We have to get out of the car and stretch our legs, give our backs a break , and go potty!!

I just can’t get over how beautiful the scenery is in this country!! Landforms change around nearly bend.

First stop Glen’s Canyon bridge and reservoir. The water level was low and the bridge reminded us of a small New River Gorge Bridge. Certainly glad we stopped.

Next stop was the Navajo visitor Center at Monument Valley. They had some of the cleanest public restrooms we’ve seen on this trip. I loved the way their picnic tables were decorated. The also were very friendly and helpful.

We learned that to see Monument Valley (the iconic view) we needed to drive 10 miles, pull off the road, and look back toward the way we’d just driven. This was at Forrest Gump point. It was where the movie was filmed when Forrest was running. He had all these people following him. He stopped. They stopped. He’s had enough running and he was going home. Everyone was stopping there. Some even set up tripods in the middle of the road. All we could think is it’s a wonder someone didn’t get hit by a car while taking pictures.

A few more miles up the road was the rock formation called Mexican Hat. We didn’t even have to pull off to get those pictures.

Next up was The Valley of the Gods. Sadly it was in a dirt road and Terry won’t take his Suburban on a dirt road (except to fish) so we had to take a drive by there also!

Next up was a landform I read about called The Wilson Arch. It was near Moab and Arches NP. I thought it would be neat if the Wilson brothers stood near the Wilson Arch. It was right at a pull off near the road and a very short hike part way up the cliff.

Terry got gas at the next town. We passed out drinks and sandwiches in the car as we couldn’t find a picnic area. We needed to make good time so this worked out perfectly!!

It was another 4 hours of driving to get to our lodging for the night in Avon, Colorado. Our only stop was a welcome center, which wasn’t open except for the restrooms. There was a very nice Vietnam Memorial at the visitors center. We stopped for pictures and to pay our respects. A quick stop for supper and we were back on our way.

We made great time today and Terry Wilson drive every mile!!

Tomorrow we head to Pikes Peak…Ed had looked forward to this since we started!


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.366s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.116s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb