Coastal Redwoods


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
March 25th 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.8966, -122.581

You can't leave California without hugging a Redwood and one of the best places to channel your inner Grizzly Adams is Muir Woods which sits just north of San Francisco. Because it sits just north of San Francisco, and is very popular with the granola eaters from the Bay area, you need to get there just as the park opens or you won't be getting any feelings of solitude as you bond with nature. We managed to get in before it was officially open so we had a great time and were relatively alone with the red giants. As we were leaving it was obvious that there were no parking spots available and people were reduced to circling and hoping for the best (they have implemented weekend shuttle buses from San Francisco to help alleviate the problem). It's probably a good thing that the popularity of the park will ensure its long term existence particularly since the early migrants to the Bay were largely responsible for almost wiping out this majestic tree. When gold was discovered in 1849, hundreds of thousands of people came to California, and redwoods were logged extensively to satisfy the explosive demand for lumber and resources. Today, only 5 percent of the original old-growth coast redwood forest remains, along a 450-mile coastal strip. Most of the coast redwood forest is now young.

After hours of peaceful tree hugging it was time to bond with a different type of nature that could peck your eyes out. Further up the coast in Bodega Bay and surrounds are a number of locations used by Alfred Hitchcock when he was filming his famous Birds movie. The schoolhouse that was surrounded by thousands of murderous crows is still there but is now a private residence (with an owner who is more than a little jaded to Hitchcock fans stopping by to take photos of his house), and the restaurant where the residents who hadn't been pecked to death gathered to plot their escape, has been heavily modernized. There's a couple of addition sites but given that the movie was made in 1963, the townsfolk don't play up the movie theme very much. We had to spin up a couple of YouTube clips as a reminder of just how good this movie was despite the woeful special effects.

After carefully checking the hydro wires for any suspicious bird grouping, DH pointed Billy
Age Of Redwood At Muir Woods Age Of Redwood At Muir Woods Age Of Redwood At Muir Woods

These trees can live for more than 2,000 years. Some coast redwoods living today were alive during the time of the Roman Empire.
Thunder in the direction of the Avenue of the Giants.


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Muir Woods Muir Woods
Muir Woods

Standing at the base of Earth's tallest tree, the coast redwood, is one of life's most humbling and amazing experiences.
Muir Woods Muir Woods
Muir Woods

The coast redwood is one of the world's fastest-growing conifers, or cone-bearing trees.
Muir Woods Muir Woods
Muir Woods

Muir Woods protects 554 acres of which 240 acres are old growth coast redwood.
Muir Woods Muir Woods
Muir Woods

Redwoods can usually survive natural forest fires because of their thick (up to 12 inches), protective bark.
Muir Woods Muir Woods
Muir Woods

Due to its proximity to the Pacific Ocean, the forest is regularly shrouded in a coastal marine layer fog, contributing to a wet environment that encourages vigorous plant growth.
Muir WoodsMuir Woods
Muir Woods

Before commercial logging and clearing began in the 1850s, coast redwoods naturally occurred in an estimated 2 million acres.
Muir WoodsMuir Woods
Muir Woods

Their trunks can grow more than 27 feet wide, about eight paces by an average adult person!


14th May 2016

Some great pics of the fabulous coastal redwoods. One can only imagine how awe-inspiring the old-growth was, before the lads came in with their axes and saws.
14th May 2016

That's truly amazing!
14th May 2016

...And hence why I enjoy your Blog sooooo much! Thanks for sharing :D
14th May 2016

The 'diamond in the rough'
14th May 2016

A beautiful image!
14th May 2016

Looks like a PAINTING!
14th May 2016

Wow! Truly amazing....
14th May 2016

This guy is a lot thinner than the Alfred we remember!
14th May 2016

I'm sure after 50 some odd years, it was in desperate need of an overhaul....
14th May 2016

That's the most beautiful highway to travel...breathtaking scenery, hairpin turns, and very scary cliffs!
15th May 2016

Very nice image as are the others. Thanks for visiting this wonderful area.
16th May 2016

veery cool
30th May 2016

Hilarious! All common sense, but the legal department says you gotta let people know anyway. I'm surprised they didn't add "sharks have no sense of humour" and "drinking large amounts of ocean water is a really bad idea". Gret photos of Mui
r Woods. I've been there. Awesome!

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb