Venice Beach.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
October 18th 2014
Published: November 5th 2014
Edit Blog Post

1



Driving into LA using the map was much easier than driving out using the GPS had been. Route 1 took us most of the way to Wicked Campers depot. We did not attempt to use public transport to get to Venice beach from there (having had a horrible long experience with this 3 weeks ealier), instead using a cab. As we waited outside for the cab, I saw two metro 210 buses go past. Checking the bus stop right beside us, I discovered the 210 stops there, and goes directly to Hollywood! Imagine the trouble we could have saved ourselves 3 weeks earlier if we had known about the 210! (Wierdly enough, LA metro's own website didnt seem to know about bus 210 either....sending us on a lengthy detour involving 1 tube, 2 buses, and a $15 taxi ride ).



Our Airbnb in Venice was delightful. It was a little cabin house in a quiet street with palm trees, which used to be a canal. Several of the canals have been filled in to become streets, but a short walk away there are still canals remaining. These are very pretty.



We were also only a few streets from the famous boardwalk and Venice Beach.



Venice beach is a lovely broad stretch of sand. The beaches of LA stretch round in a bay; so you can stand on Venice beach and see right round past Santa Monica pier to the Malibu hills in one direction, and past the aeroplanes taking off and big industrial buildings of the harbour to the hills south of LA in the other.



There is a cycle path winding through the palm trees amongst the sands, a skate board arena, playgrounds, volley ball, fitness equipment, tennis courts, toilets and drinking fountains, and even a police station on the beach. We saw a police car whiz off across the sands when needed. The sea itself is also busy with swimmers and surfers.



Then there is the boardwalk....lined with shops, market stalls and full of people selling all sorts of wierd stuff, busking, begging and posing. All human life is here.



One of the more unusual shops is called the 'Green Doctors'. Our host explained to us that marjuana is now legal in California for medical reasons. There are a multitude of medical reasons which can be provided, so consequently almost anyone can qualify for a card entitling them to buy legal dope. The Green Doctors provide the service of diagnosing your need for legal marajuana at a cost of $30 or $40. ( in Washington and Colarado it is legal without a medical reason).



One day we set off on the bikes from our Airbnb for a ride. We got as far as the canals when we got chatting to an American couple. The guy asked Fred about his shirt, and this then led to a lengthy conversation about music, London , and Freds days as an office boy in the music business back in the 70s. Rick (who has a business trading vintage guitars previously owned by famous rock stars) and Kate ended up bringing us both out for lunch at their favourite italian restuarant. Fred can now say he has truly 'dined out' on his music business anecdotes. (This cycle ride was therefore only about 10 minutes long - but an unexpected and fun day anyway,)



Later I had a lovely long ride along the beach to Santa Monica pier and back.



Another day we booked a surfing lesson. It was great fun, but totally exhausting. By the end of the lesson Fred had mastered standing up on the board for about a minute, but Fran kept falling off. Fred is smitten with the surfing bug, and looking forward to another try in Australia, but Fran (whose arms, knees and whole body were aching the next day) may just stick to lying down on a body board instead - as yet uncertain!Our time in USA came to an end in Venice Beach. We had really enjoyed the journey across America and seeing the amazing variety within this huge country(more like a continent than a single country) and met lots a friendly people.



Looking forward to the next stop....The Cook Islands.



Our host ordered us an Uber cab online to bring us to the airport for the next leg of the journey.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.348s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb