Summer Road Trip 2013: Monterrey and Hollywood Via Highway 1 Day 5


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
July 15th 2013
Published: May 29th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at Monterrey Bay early in the morning and headed to its famous Boardwalk. I had never been on a boardwalk before. I was in one of sorts in Santa Cruz but it was mostly shut down and not really happening. The Monterrey Bay Boardwalk was happening though. People and venders were everywhere and one could sample a billion delicious foods. You can easily take your fill of food by just sampling all day. There was taffy and seafood and caramels and clam chowder. Yum! There were also some seals resting on the piers. They just lay there all lazy making random noises. I wanted to pet them but they sort of stank to high heaven.

We eventually settled down to eat some clam chowder in the bread bowls and some fried seafood. It was excellent! Then we left Monterrey Bay and headed down Highway 1 all along the coast. This is a must drive for all road trip afficionados. All the twisting and twerving eventually got me a bit seasick. As did always worrying whether I'd crash down off a cliff. I often wondered how my brother could sleep through some of this drive.

We stopped to see some elephant seals. They like to fight. They are also very lazy like. But they've made this part off Highway 1 their home. There were hundreds of them basking in the sun.

We eventually turned east on James Dean Memorial Highway to get off Highway 1. The drive was awesome and I could tell why maybe some people may like a little speeding on this highway. The views are amazing! We stopped and took pictures with James Dean to remember our visit. We made it into Los Angeles late that night but it didn't stop us. We hurried down to Hollywood and took pictures and took in the views. Tomorrow we will explore it a bit more but I just needed to finally see Marylin Munroe's star on the Walk of Fame. Its right in front of the McDonald's!


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0837s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb