A Day for Geocaching


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
June 8th 2013
Published: June 14th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Technically, our goal for the day was to drive from Kingman, Arizona, to the end of Route 66, and then to Anaheim. In truth, though, it was to find more than 100 geocaches. On a section of Route 66 south of I-40, there are more than 800. Dad would love to have done all of them, but we had to consider the time, the heat, and sheer boredom. We worked out a system. Dad would jump out and get it, I would roll down the window and stamp the log. Jeff would roll up the window, while I recapped the stamp and Dad would get back in. It worked pretty well, until I thought he looked too tired, and then I made him sit.

There isn't a lot of Route 66 memorabilia in California, although there's some. We saw the original McDonald's, some old restaurants, a drive-in, the Santa Anita Racetrack. We ended up deciding not to drive all the way into Santa Monica, mostly because of traffic. The trip to Anaheim was uneventful. Tomorrow we do Disney.

- - - - -

Miles: 426
Highest Gas Price: $4.50/gallon
Low Temperature: 64 (Anaheim, CA
High Temperature: 115 (Chambless, CA)

Conversation of the Day:
L: Look, Grandma, there's another classic car.
M: Okay.
L: Grandma, look.
C: That's not a plastic car.
J: Classic, not plastic. (explaining why the parade of classic cars for a wedding confused him so)

Geocaches Found: 111
New License Plate States Seen: ?
Projects Completed: 0

We learned you can find really cheap pop in the Mojave.
We forgot, probably, to hydrate enough.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0955s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.4mb