Are we there yet? Day 13-Scenic Highway U.S. 1


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
April 29th 2013
Published: May 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

We continued on Route 29, dotted with wineries until we hit the redwoods at higher elevation. We took long winding roads to reach the Pacific coast and scenic Pacific Highway 1. While we longed to walk on the beach and tip our toes in the ocean, it was cold and windy so we opted to just enjoy the view. We reached the end of U.S . 1 in Northern California, and traveled back up through the redwoods to reach U.S. 101 to continue our journey. We encountered the 'drive through' redwood on that leg of the trip. It is amazing how the tree could continue to live and survive with a huge 'cutout' through it's core.

We stayed the night at a really nice casino hotel overlooking the Bear River. For the record, we do not gamble, but we have found the best rooms and reasonable prices are at casinos.

Our original plan for tomorrow was to travel to Crater Lake towards south central Oregon. After checking accessibility to that venue, only one entrance was open, and due to snow it and had limited access. We talked with two couples that suggested we travel the Oregon Coastline. We decided we will take their advice and do so tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Gaberville- small town for lunchGaberville- small town for lunch
Gaberville- small town for lunch

Place where counter culture has flourished.


Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb