Day 3 - Hollywood


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
January 25th 2012
Published: January 26th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 and after a quiet night we got up early to take in a few last sights in Beverly Hills in the car before checking out of L'Ermitage.

Had a nice breakfast at this French cafe and then it was on to Hollywood. Once you get closer, you can immediately get a sense of the faster pace and how it is much more touristy (if that's a word).

We checked in at the Mondrian hotel which is famous for its Sky Bar. The bar has great views and is very popular at night. It has a pool that is part of the bar and so we will be heading there later once we have some dinner.

We dropped our bags up in the room and the room was very funky. It had a large mirror that doubles as a tv, and again some great views of the city and hills.

We took a taxi to Hollywood Boulevard which was only about 5 minutes away and started the Hollywood walk of Fame. Probably not what we were expecting and very different to the laid back lifestyle of Beverly Hills. However, in saying that it was great in its own way. It is full of crappy souvenir shops and people on street corners asking you to go on their sightseeing tour.

We didn't take a tour, it's something we will do tomorrow when we have more time. I never realised that our accent was so recognisable, but as soon as you answer someone they ask you what part of Australia you are from.

We saw all the main stars which we took photos of and then had a debate over whether Magic Johnson deserved a star. Obviously you would know who was on which side for that one! I did see a star that made me laugh, never heard of the guy but he must have been pretty special "Wayne King"... Had to take a photo of that one!

Had lunch at this pub near the Kodak Centre where most of the Oscars are held. The pub was great, caught a bit of the Barcelona v Real Madrid game and again the food was huge. Lauren had pork ribs that were almost bigger than her. An AC/DC song came on the radio and Loz didn't know who it was. I then said to the barman that he's got a good Aussie band on the radio and he shouted "Acca Dacca" and played an air guitar. At least he knew his music!!

A bit more sightseeing, Loz found a few more bargains in the shops and then we started to head back to the hotel. Our last stop was to get a photo done with your name on a star. I was just going to get Loz to do it and then she suggested that we both go in the photo and have "The Camerons" written on the star. I was so proud and will enjoy sticking that up Shane Ryan and Katie Kapetanios when they see the pic!!!

Looking forward to dinner tonight and the Sky Bar. As a basketball fan, there is a big buzz around the city on tv and radio as the Lakers and Clippers are playing tonight, for those who don't know it's like Adelaide and Port Adelaide playing each other as they are the only two teams in the city of LA.

Got a few more days in Hollywood and off to spend the next two nights at the Andaz which we're really looking forward to. Still have the sightseeing tour and Universal Studios to do and a basketball game tomorrow night.

Happy Australia Day!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb