Tulare CA - Las Vegas, Nv


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
March 17th 2011
Published: March 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

March 16 Tulare, Ca to Las Vegas, NV
Got on the road at 1140 intending to go to Barstow for the day and continue on to Vegas tomorrow.
West of Tehachapi pass the grass was green and the hills pretty. That is because it rains on that side of the slopes as the moist air rises and so doesn't reach the west side. The west side of the slopes were brown and desert like.
When I got to Barstow it just didn't impress me and so I soldiered on and continued East.
I was getting down to half a tank and don't like letting my tank get much lower than that way out here in the desert so stopped at a Shell station/store and filled up but paid $4.77 a gallon. I should have waited till I got to Baker which was only another 9 miles or so as gas there was $4.17 a gallon.
The terrain got drier and I continued on alongside the northern border of the Mojave Desert until I reached Baker where I tried out a Greek Restaurant that had been advertising on billboards. The food wasn't anything special but the restaurant itself is worth checking out. Kind of a cool place way out here in the desert.
After eating I considered briefly staying in Baker but old habits die hard I guess and I wanted to get a little more out of the day.
After another long series of climbs and then a long series of declines I finally eased on into Vegas. I got a room on Tropicana Ave at the Best Value Inn with internet access for just $33 a night and will decide in the morning if I want to stay another night or find another motel. I had my doubts about the place but so far it has been quiet and I can see my truck from my room and it's still there. So guess I will see how things look in the morning.
I had intended to make a light day of it but ended up driving 339 miles. But seriously there wasn't anything worth stopping and taking a look at.
Still, I need to quit pushing my truck so hard and try and lighten up a bit. Maybe I will stay here a couple of days.





Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The Mad Greeks RestaurantThe Mad Greeks Restaurant
The Mad Greeks Restaurant

The Mad Greeks Restaurant. Interesting place. Food was just OK but plenty of it.
Runaway truck rampRunaway truck ramp
Runaway truck ramp

The sign says runaway truck ramp ahead. Just hope he doesn't run over me on the way down first !
Nevada at lastNevada at last
Nevada at last

The buildings just over the California/Nevada border in the distance are a group of casino's.


17th March 2011

DESERT
THE SCENIC PICTURES LOOKS DIFFERENT . GLAD TO HEAR YOU WILL STAY &RE-GROUP
19th March 2011

desrt pictures
had to believe one hill can make a difference have a good time UTAH , WAIT TILL YOU GET YOUR INTERNENT CONNECTED

Tot: 0.321s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0884s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb