California Sun


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
July 8th 2010
Published: July 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Big SurBig SurBig Sur

The view from Nepenthe, a delicious restaurant
A trip up and down the coast of California; what an amazing time!

Los Angeles First thing we do upon arriving in LA at 7 in the morning: Pick up the rental car and head out of the city. Second stop: Starbucks 😊 definitely a welcoming treat for me, especially since living in the Netherlands now where we only have three Starbucks in the entire country. And I refuse to buy it in the NL because it's so overpriced. So I relished in my double tall, extra hot (I always get hot drinks no matter the temperature outside), soy latte! Off to our next destination ...

Big Sur An absolute must is a restaurant in Big Sur called Nepenthe. It's right off of Highway One, a breathtaking drive just like the view from Nepenthe Restaurant. After a great dinner, my brother received a slice of delicious chocolate cake for his 14th birthday; they also gave him a mug! So nice.

Monterey Although we didn't spend too much time here, it's cute and small with many little shops and restaurants. One restaurant which you should definitely check out if you ever pass through Monterey is Rosine's Restaurant. Their breakfast menu
AlcatrazAlcatrazAlcatraz

San Francisco
is incredible! I had the Veggie Benedict, first time ever trying a benedict-breakfast: A toasted English muffin topped with fresh avocado, sauteed mushrooms, tomatoes and three poached eggs and their homemade hollandaise sauce. Not bad! After a huge morning meal, we took two slices of cake for the road: Carrot Cake and a Rainbow Sprinkle Cake. We also met the owner herself, Rosine, a wonderful and genuine person, and one of her sons, who is in charge of the many cakes they make every morning.

San Francisco One of my favorite places in California thus far. Besides seeing two great friends who I hadn't seen in years, this city is filled with excitement, hills, tourists, good food, a lot of wind, and, of course, the one and only FULL HOUSE house! 😊 The set of Victorian houses are also called the Painted Ladies, located right by Alamo Square.

Sausalito is also fun to check out: One of the first towns after crossing the Golden Gate Bridge. It's especially cute along the water. They have some great places to eat and might as well stop at Lapperts for some ice cream!!

A fun article sent by a friend,
Dinner @ NepentheDinner @ NepentheDinner @ Nepenthe

Grilled tofu-vegetable patty served on a French roll with lettuce, tomatoes and their famous Ambrosia Sauce
might be of use: Top 10 things not to do in San Francisco. Although this article claims that true seafood lovers should avoid the Fisherman's Wharf, it is a fun, but definite tourist attraction, part of town to visit.

Yosemite National Park and Sequoia National Park are both really unique. I especially like Yosemite Park because there are a lot of hiking trails and it's known for its rock climbing: El Capitan. This granite giant, 910m (3000ft), is one of the greatest climbing challenges in the world.

One night stop in Bakersfield before leaving for Topanga Canyon (LA area) the next morning, where we meet up with close family friends who live there. An amazing brunch with family and friends, followed by a tour around Los Angeles. Be sure to stop at some of the second hand / vintage shops; you can find some great things in Topanga Canyon!

Please do yourself a favor and go to the Original Pantry for breakfast (can you tell that breakfast is my favorite meal of the day?)! Located in downtown LA since 1924, this old school cafe / restaurant is the best of the best! From a 15-stool counter to menus
The Bay BridgeThe Bay BridgeThe Bay Bridge

San Francisco
on the walls, this place has a line out of the door and around the corner. Don't be discouraged though, the line moves quickly. O and cash only!


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Appetizer @ NepentheAppetizer @ Nepenthe
Appetizer @ Nepenthe

Roasted beets with walnut pesto, Sherry reduction and horseradish creme fraiche
Sea Elephants Sea Elephants
Sea Elephants

You can see these guys right before you enter Big Sur
A Chocolate Lovers Dream (Dessert @ Nepenthe)A Chocolate Lovers Dream (Dessert @ Nepenthe)
A Chocolate Lovers Dream (Dessert @ Nepenthe)

This is what my brother received, on the house, for his birthday: A dark chocolate cake with a semi-sweet chocolate ganache! Heaven.
Cakes.Cakes.
Cakes.

Rosine's Restaurant: An amazing, family-run restaurant in Monterey ... great breakfasts!
Golden Gate BridgeGolden Gate Bridge
Golden Gate Bridge

San Francisco
Manhattan BeachManhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach

Los Angeles
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Yosemite Nat'l Park


19th July 2010
HOLLYWOOD

nice...
company was nice too...so much fun...nice pictures...can't wait for the next trip.....
19th July 2010

Everywhere you look
There's a heart, there's a heart.
20th July 2010

We heard you had had fun, but this looks yummy!
27th July 2010

what a trip!
Hey Nik! I am at a library in this really awesome little town called Westcliff in Colorado, in between the Wet Mountains, and Monarch's Pass, and I had time to stop at the library so I thought I'd see if you've been up to any traveling, and a surprise! You have! That sounds like an awesome trip, looks like you had a really good time, and looks like you ate a lot of good food. I think I'm over half way through my trip, but the hardest has yet to come...I just started climbing up into the mountains in Colorado and my legs are already tired! Anyway, I hope all is well, its really nice to hear your stories, and see your photos (they're really nice, I especially like the sunset, how beautiful!). Take care and stay lovely, matt.

Tot: 0.18s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb