Avenue of Giants


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
April 4th 2010
Published: April 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

04 April 2010

A front came in from the Pacific which brought continuous and heavy rain for most of the day which made our planned expedition quite difficult.

We drove along the 32 mile Avenue of Giants in Humboldt Redwoods State Park and got very damp taking a half mile walk which went by some of the more impressive trees. As can be seen from the photos, the camera didn’t like the rain! The redwoods which have very straight trunks, grow to 350ft high and are over 10ft diameter at their base. Over 95% of them where felled for timber in the century following 1850. There are three trees that have tunnels carved through them which allows the passage of cars but we did not visit any of them because of the rain and we weren’t sure the Jeep would go through!

From the trees we headed back to the coast but to get there had to drive over yet another snow covered pass with cars sliding all over the place.

We are staying at Fort Bragg for the night and had excellent Clam chowder and local red snapper fish and chips at Cap’n Flints restaurant at the harbour.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0896s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb