Kern River and San Joaquin Valleys


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California
April 22nd 2009
Published: April 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We headed south from Lone Pine on 395 then west on 178 to Lake Isabella and the Kern River Canyon/Valley. It's a beautiful drive, over the Sierras, where the Joshua Trees are replaced by pines as we climb higher, then reappear as we descend. Lake Isabella looks quite low, even lower than it was last year. The drive is mostly through fairly dry lands with pockets of lush green here and there. The Kern River carried more water than last time we saw it, albeit brown, muddy looking water from the early snow melt due to unseasonably warm temps. The huge boulders all along the drive continue to amaze.

From Bakersfield we headed north on 99 through the San Joaquin Valley with its acres and acres of cultivated fruits and vegetables. We had fun debating what a certain kind of tree could be, until we finally saw a sign that said "almonds." The grapevines we recognized.

We're staying for 2 nights in Tulare, where it was 96 degrees at 6:30pm. Kerry and Bob went into the pool at the campground to cool off. However, we expect cooler temps tomorrow, and besides, we are heading up into the mountains to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Lake IsabellaLake Isabella
Lake Isabella

Little sandpiper-looking birds


23rd April 2009

Hey you guys!!!!! Drink a beer for me FRIDAY NITE, LUV!

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb