Date Festival


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Yucaipa
February 23rd 2008
Published: February 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

See how smug the ostrich looks?!See how smug the ostrich looks?!See how smug the ostrich looks?!

And how confused the rider is? I wonder who's in control! Actually, this bird isn't being riden, he's just running the track to learn the routine. HOWEVER, the rider was on a bird when he came out of the chute!
(Oak Glen CCC)

I almost feel like I need to introduce myself again! We are well, and things are still terrific, however, I took a week off and went to North Dakota to visit my grandma, and other family members. (It’s REALLY cold in ND!) Getting back on track after that always takes a few days….doesn’t seem like it used to, but it sure does now!

As of Thursday, the guys had finished their bathrooms, and are going to concentrate on the group bathrooms in one of the lodges. We are finished at noon Tuesday, so they’re not sure what all they’ll get finished. We are finished painting in the chapel and the office, and Monday we’re scheduled to paint the front, sink area, of the bathroom the guys are working on. They’re changing some showers in there, as well as making them handicap accessible. Peter and Dave have been in that building most of the project. It’s going to be really nice.

Weather-wise, we have had snow several times, but it comes (in quantities of 4-6”) and then may only be here that day before it melts. It doesn’t hang around and make a pest of itself,
Lest you think they didn't ride theLest you think they didn't ride theLest you think they didn't ride the

ostriches, I included this one! The ostriches still look smug, don't you think? And the riders look desperate? (not to mention goofy!)
just looks pretty and then is gone. There’s not much mud, because the ground isn’t bare~~it’s covered with pine needles and either oak leaves, or vines that provide ground cover. The vines have leaves like a philodendron, but I’m sure that’s not what they are. We don’t need gloves or hats, but do wear jackets most of the day. However, if we go down the mountain, there’s no snow and no jackets! I tried to find a pair of gloves before I left for ND, without much luck! Finally we found one (in a walmart sized drug store!!) and ended up paying $15 for a thin scarf, hat and wimpy gloves that didn’t fit. Yep, I bought them! These people think winter means donning your raincoat!

Yesterday Bob and I went to the Date Festival in Indio, over by Palm Desert. It’s a county fair, with judging of flowers, cakes, quilts, etc. We watched ostrich races, bareback ostrich riding (the ostriches won), but we missed the pig races…we were watching the man dive from an 80' tower into a 10' pool! It was a fun day, with the typical fair food, vendors in the commercial building, and interestingly dressed
They were explaining the chariots.They were explaining the chariots.They were explaining the chariots.

See the broom? They use that to sweep next to the ostrich on the side opposite the way they want him to turn. They also use it to brush the tip of his tail feathers to get him to go faster. The announcer said it's such a versatile tool that they're trying to get a patent on it! The ostrich's head goes through front part, but he's not strapped to the chariot, so if he puts his head down and turns, the chariot driver is without transportation!
teenagers! The fair goes for ten days, and ends this Sunday.

I mentioned leaving: we’re going to take a tour Wed morning through the Fleetwood RV factory, and Dave and Wanda are gong to leave after that, and the rest of us will stay until Thursday or Friday. Probably Thursday, as they’re expecting a large group on Friday, and the men are concerned about getting the rvs out of here if the parking lot is full. I’m very reluctant to leave, as I love everything about this camp. I love the snow, without it being so cold, and I love the warmth of the afternoon. And being above the smog. And being out of the crowds and traffic. But Bob is ready to work on level ground again!This site is tough on the toes of your shoes~~your feet are jammed in the toes all the time, as you’re either walking uphill, or downhill! All of us will miss the people at the camp, that’s for sure. Frank and Marilynn are leaving us, but the rest of us are going on to Master’s College, in Santa Clarita.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

TaaDaa...TaaDaa...
TaaDaa...

They even dress up for it!
And a trick zebra??And a trick zebra??
And a trick zebra??

Yep. The place was just oozing with talent! He pretty much just walked the plank and then stood on a square raised platform~~you've seen the dogs on it, as well as elephants.
You could ride the camels for onlyYou could ride the camels for only
You could ride the camels for only

$5, and I tried to get Bob to do it so I could take a picture....he had other ideas! We have no pictures of either of us!


4th March 2008

What, no Vikings?
I was wondering if your visit to the fair included Indian Tacos and Vikings dripping down your arm and off your elbow!! What memories of the Richland County fair that brings to mind!
5th March 2008

Oh you know we discussed them! My stomach
hurt just from the discussion!!!

Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0436s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb