Oak Glen Christian Conference Center


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Yucaipa
February 1st 2008
Published: February 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Evening fogEvening fogEvening fog

Pretty, but spooky, right? This is looking toward the back of our motor home.
(Oak Glen Christian Conference Center)

Yesterday was a different kind of day… we woke up at Victory Ranch, and by lunch we were parked in our new neighborhood~~Oak Glen! We didn’t travel far enough to even have to change the radio station on the clock radio! We moved a few miles northeast, but mostly we just climbed…we’re at 5200 feet, and it’s an entirely different world. I’ve shown you pictures of the mountains around Hemet, and what they looked like with the clouds hanging low? Well now we’re in those clouds! Dave and Wanda came up the day before, and there was so much snow that the staff plowed out the parking spaces, as well as the roads, but by the time we got here it was mostly melted. There’s snow where the plow bladed it to the sides of the roads, but our camping spots are clear…clear of snow, but really wet, and we’re thankful for the gravel base.

I’ll introduce the camp now, although I won’t have pictures for a few days. Five different groups of people are here for the weekend, so we’re not wandering around much. It’s a large camp, which can house up to
We are north east of Yucaipa.We are north east of Yucaipa.We are north east of Yucaipa.

(Pronounced you-ki-pa)
300 people, feeding them all in one sitting. We (they call us staff!) get our meals also…lunch on weekdays, and if there’s a group on the weekend we can eat three meals a day with them! The thing I like about it (ok, besides not having to cook!) is that it gives us a chance to really get to know the camp staff. If you eat with people you get to know them. (There are 20 staff members, plus numerous steady volunteers.)

History on Oak Glen: It’s located high in the San Bernadino mountains, just above Yucaipa and Beaumont. We’re about 2.5 hours from San Diego and 2 hours from LA. No dairy farms here, just apples. Apple everything, including unique gift shops and bakeries and diners. (Apparently this project is all about eating!) Bob and I laugh about the unique gift shops, because they are everywhere. If the stop is bigger than a pot hole (and the rain sure brings out pot holes…I thought it took ground frost, but nope, I was wrong about that too!) But if the stop is bigger than a pot hole, it has a unique gift shop.

Yeah, it’s cold. Not cold
We are all parked where it says "us"We are all parked where it says "us"We are all parked where it says "us"

(clever of me, huh?!) Our devotions room is in Sequoia. Until the weather is nicer we're going to have pop on the patio in the snack shack, which is always open, and has coffee ready, and vending machines.
like you guys know cold, but colder than we’ve been in in a motor home! Today it was crisp up here and we went down the mountain (to buy some sweatshirts!) and the people were wearing shorts and no jackets! But then we came back up here, and were glad to have the warmer clothes. Tonight after dinner the fog moved in and it was beautiful. Spooky, but beautiful.






Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

This isn't a view from our camp, This isn't a view from our camp,
This isn't a view from our camp,

but is on the way to Yucaipa, about seven miles down the mountain.


10th February 2008

That fog *IS* spooky! Also very pretty- but I would have stayed in the motorhome to admire it! :)
10th February 2008

No boogey men here...
When we were inside, we could see the fog rolling past the window. And I thought that was spooky! You never see movies of happy things coming out of the fog, do you?!
30th October 2009

this place is alwsome
the oakglen christain center is so nice to be at and the food is so good i cant wait tell tommorow im going there and i am going to have a great time i love enjoying the lord and haveing a great time a the same time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
3rd November 2009

Hi, Jennae!
Isn't Oak Glenn such a spirit filled camp? We loved it there!

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0423s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb