The Great Highs and Lows of Yosemite


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

El CapitanEl CapitanEl Capitan

The high mountain peak soared 2 miles upwards!
An early start took us into yosemite National Park along a winding road for over an hour and a half. we kept climbing higher and higher and drove past the remains of snow drifts still thawing in the morning sun. I don't thhink we knew really what we were expecting but were blown away with the enormity of the huge mountains and rock crevices that towered above us. We drove through a huge reveen with pine forests and a river running through the valley floor. The huge El Capitan Mountain soared high above our heads a mere 2 miles up into the perfectly blue sky. Eagles circled above our heads and rock climbers scaled the crevaces beneath.
We had the most wonderful picnic spot alongside a beautiful lake and watched the chipmonks and squirrels squabble over the crumbs dropped from our sandwiches.
We soon realised that we would need more than the day to see the major sights in the park so managed to find accomodation for the night at the foot of the mountains near a huge waterfall. The 'tent' was basic and simple but seved the purpose and we were serenaded through the night with people snoring! Atleast we
Our picnic SpotOur picnic SpotOur picnic Spot

Not a bad view to have your lunch? Shame about the crowds!
were not visited by any brown bears that apparently roam around seeking picnic baskets and rumage through bins!
The next day were ventured past waterfalls and steep inclines to view points and narrow path ways. We walked to Mirror Lake a beautiful spot with perfect still waters that reflected the high mountain peaks, even the boys were impressed!
So then on to Carson City for an overnight stop before heading for Death Valley. What a drive due to the 'short cut' road through the park being closed due to winter snow still on the roads, so we had to drive 340 miles around the mountain range in order to get to our next stop. A great drive though through some amazing scenery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Overnight AccomodationOvernight Accomodation
Overnight Accomodation

Thin walls and insufficient blankets so we were rather cold but a good laugh and a great place to wake up in the park early in the morning, fortunately the bears had eaten else where that night!


Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0661s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb