Tall Trees


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Ukiah
April 18th 2018
Published: May 9th 2018
Edit Blog Post


Elk sitting out the rain
On this trip I’d wanted to see the giant Redwood trees of California, but had thought this would be the Sequoia National park that is between Yosemite and LA. When a little internet research reveals that we’re about to drive though the coastal Redwood parks I’m quite excited. The Redwoods in this area are Coastal – or Californian - Redwoods and different to the trees in Sequoia which are Sequoia’s or Giant Redwoods. They aren’t as wide as the Sequoias but are actually significantly taller. The tallest tree in the world is somewhere here (the location is kept secret) but there are plenty of very tall (250ft +) trees you can walk to see and a few that are wide enough to drive a car through, though an RV would be a challenge! The other factoid I track down about this area is that the parks have been used as the locations for several major films, the best known probably being “Jurassic Park” and “Return of the Jedi”.

My pictures don’t work very well here as it’s hard without including people to depict the overall scale, but it provides a brilliant setting for some great atmospheric photos.

We’re also

Covered bridge in Oregon
now just out of Oregon and into northern California and right on queue the weather picks up with a couple of sunny days.

We are still on the lookout for good wildlife opportunities so stop at an Elk viewing area – they are a fair distance away and not doing a great deal but having come though Canada without seeing Moose it’s good to finally start seeing some animals in the wild.

The towns along the coast also make for some interesting stops. We track down a covered bridge somewhere just off the main highway in Oregon, make a visit to the blessed folk at the cheese factory in Crescent City, take a stroll through the old town of Eureka and stay for the night in the nicely named town of Trinidad.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Can't pass a cheese factory without stopping


Redwood NP




The Big Tree


Eureka harbour front


Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb