I've Got a Crush...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Sonoma County
November 8th 2009
Published: November 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

...on wine.
I had a truly wonderful wine country morning yesterday. My friend Jim and I headed over to Kenwood where Melisse's and my old pal and landlord from Glen Ellen days, Doty, had enlisted me in this year's wine crush. Doty has become a fairly sophisticated vintner in the years since we lived with him on the mountain. He and his friends/business partners David and Catherine collect leftover grapes from Sonoma valley vineyards then make their own wine. It is not for sale, only personal consumption. About 15 of us gathered to crush this years grapes and bottle 2007's crush that had been aging in barrels for the past two years. It was quite the undertaking. Doty and Catherine organized everyone into a well oiled machine. I manned the bottle corker with Jim. In the course of the morning, we all bottled 132 cases of merlot, cabernet and zinfandel while crushing numerous barrels for aging. Because of the record harvest, the grapes were free this year. We sampled some 2006 zin while we worked to keep us motivated. For an amateur production, these guys make excellent wine not to mention throw excellent parties where it is served. After we finished, we sat down to a gourmet lunch of barbequed wild salmon, orzo, tomato,basil/fresh mozzarella salad and, you guessed it, never ending glasses of the local product. Yum. All that was missing was Melisse who is earning karma points helping out brother John. (see her post) We were all thanked with 1/2 a case of wine each to take home. Cheers to you all.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

The crush 1The crush 1
The crush 1

You know it will be good when Jesus (center) has a hand at making the wine.


8th November 2009

Pinot Envy
What a great experience! Life is good here...maybe you guys should come back!
8th November 2009

Yum is right!
That looks like a wonderful day spent with friends! Wish we could be there to meet all of your friends out there! Maybe next year? =0)
9th November 2009

Crush
What a fine way to spend a day! Yeah, I'm jealous. I'm enjoying following your adventure. Keep the posts coming. Cheers!

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb