Camp Finder @ the Buttermilks - Sierras


Advertisement
Published: July 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

AB n SanchoAB n SanchoAB n Sancho

At the peak of the slope on day 1...slopes were getting icy...the Akore was getting stressed.
We just got back from 5 days of free camping at the Buttermilks (just outside of Bishop, in the Sierras of California). April 14 through April 19, 2008.

Who: AB, DJC, Sidd, and Maya.

Camp sites are first come, first serve - we arrive on Monday and the place was packed.

Acitivities:

Snowshowing to snowboard-able slopes around the Buttermilks. Tons of ardous hikes abound leading to amazing runs...this is not for the weary. Will be much better in JANUARY! Will return w/ snowmobiles for sure. Mountain Biking - we brought the bikes, but we lag too much and only managed to move them from the bike rack to the bushes.

Resort Snowboarding - Mammoth mountain resort is about an an hour long drive from where we camped. One lovely day at Mammoth to end a great snowboarding season. Wishing our legs were not so jelly like on that last day. We left the dogs in the car, and they seemed to love it. I was sure Sidd would go crazy watching the skiiers on the hill from the car.

Memorable Moments:

Shish-ka-bobs from the yummy grocery store we found in town. Those were SO
Sidd n MayaSidd n MayaSidd n Maya

Day 1...about to hike to snowshoe to snowboard to tears.
good on day 2!!

Sleeping in Camp Finder for the first time - and waking up on day 2 with frost on the INSIDE of the car. Wishing there was a moon roof.

Almost a full moon - camping is best when nature provides your evening glow.

Too much cheap red wine at camp can be a bad thing.

Losing the mountain money is always a bad thing.

Dom hitting the Pepsi bottle with the first shot, ever.

Maya totally wants to go hunting. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Crying on an icy slope on day 1. After hiking for a few hours to reach a small summit, we straped on our boards and rode the toughest terrain I have ever encoutered - icy and full of divits. We had our sights set on a far away peak with a beautiful snowbowl below...we had snowshoes on our feet and snowboards on our backs and only managed to make it to the smallest peak...after three hours of hiking and dwindling day light. It was totally exhausting. Fortunately, we were able to hike to a pretty decent run down a nice long shoot on day 1...it was
View of Camp FinderView of Camp FinderView of Camp Finder

View of camp...from above.
icy, but we totally made some distance on our boards...until I got stuck on a VERY, EXTREMELY steep slope that we were attempting to traverse. It was thick ice and I slipped and got all freaked out...I had to slide down on my ass and hike the rest of the way out...grrrr...little did I know I would be doing the same thing the next day - on a MUCH longer slope (not quite as icy though). But, overall - the run down the shoot was pretty cool!!! Day 2 wasn't so grand...the only distance I made not on my feet was on my ass - as I strangely enough opted to use my ass to slide down the slope we had just hiked uphill through sage brush to get to. My snowboarding skills totally failed me that day...but at least I made it to the run.






Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

View From CampView From Camp
View From Camp

A view from camp finder
Ab n HillAb n Hill
Ab n Hill

Day 2, attempt #2 to reach the summit and slide down.
Lick Lick LickLick Lick Lick
Lick Lick Lick

E coli anyone?
ABAB
AB

This is the ONLY self portrait from this trip...a record for sure!
Sidd n MayaSidd n Maya
Sidd n Maya

Day 2, Hike 2...dogs looking for shade...


Tot: 0.112s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb